The joy of digging into a nice cold potato and egg salad on a hot day is simply a bliss. It goes very well with any juicy barbecue or any grilled meat mains. You can make this salad as chunky as you like or mash more and make it creamier. I like the chunkier version more,
Potato and Egg salad is available in most stores but let me tell you if you spend extra 10 minutes to gather ingredients and do prep work you end up with a much flavorful salad at a minuscule of the cost. I have used farm fresh organic eggs. The yolk has a beautiful yellow color unlike the store bought ones which add to the color of the dish
Potato and Egg Salad Recipe
- Eggs – 3
- Potatoes – 5 medium sized (12 red baby potatoes)
- Celery – 1/2 -3/4 th cup chopped
- Red onion – 1/2 cup chopped
- Pickled relish – 1/2 cup
- Mayonnaise – 2 tbsp
- Mustard paste – 1 tbsp
- Garlic powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt and fresh crushed pepper to taste
- Keep the Instant pot ready and insert the egg rack. Pour a cup of water into it.Wash the eggs well and carefully set it inside.Wash the potatoes well and keep them in the stainless steel (separator)container (the moisture on top of the potatoes will help cook evenly)
- Close the lid and turn the nozzle into sealing mode.
- TO COOK–> PRESS MANUAL or Pressure cooker Mode –>select 5 minutes (on high). After the timer goes off and the instant pot sits on low for 5 minutes turn the nozzle to venting MODE. Allow all the pressure to be released then open the lid.
- Keep a bowl of ice cubes ready. Carefully put the hard boiled into it and let it sit for 5 minutes before cracking the shell. After removing shell chop into small pieces and keep aside.
- Remove the potatoes and chop them into cubes once they have reached bearable heat (Do not wait until they are completely cooled)
- To the chopped potatoes add the rest of the ingredients given in the list above and stir well. Gently toss the eggs chopped finally stir until combined not mashed.
- Refrigerate and use after 1-2 hours so the flavors sink in.
Notes : All the FAQ s are answered below.
If you will notice the 5-5-5 rule for cooking eggs works perfectly in instant pot.
Every family has their own recipe. Here is my simple tricks of getting the potatoes right.
How to get the potatoes cooked properly without becoming soggy?
- I use the instant pot but you could use any other traditional method. The trick is simply steaming instead of boiling the potatoes in water. Basically you need to make a separation between water and potatoes so it doesn’t sit in water and absorb moisture(as seen in this video).
- We are looking for cooked yet firm potatoes that will hold it shape. The best varieties of potatoes to use for this recipe are Yellow finn, Yukon gold or Red potatoes.
How to cook egg and the potatoes together efficiently ?
- Ideally the potatoes and eggs should be cooked in two separate pots
- It is not very hygienic to cook raw eggs on top of cubed potatoes. Needless to say about the debris on the egg, fear of at least one rotten egg and cross contamination. Cooking the eggs thoroughly kills the Salmonella germs but do you want to take chance on your health.
- Using a separator while steaming ensures energy efficient cooking without the potatoes touching the eggs.
How to make a flavorful egg and potato salad?
- I use red potatoes which I do not peel so in bearable heat I cut it into small cubes so they are warm while I add rest of the ingredients. This technique ensures that the potatoes absorb all the flavors. You don’t want to add anything to cold potatoes.
When to make the potato and egg salad ?
- Summer is the best time to have this cold salad. It can be made a day ahead and be refrigerated so that the flavors mingle. It is also called a picnic potato salad the reason being easy to carry and no vinaigrette leaks in general carrying conditions. A crowd pleaser for the potluck parties too.
Note: Just make sure to carry in an insulated box with enough cold packs to keep the salad cold. Don’t put it in the warmer boot but keep in it one of the passenger seats where air-conditioning is on.
OTHER SUMMER SALADS TO BE ENJOYED:
Kale Mac and Cheese – My favorite
MORE POTATO SIDES: