Salmon with shallots | Easy stovetop recipe (Video recipe)
Salmon with shallots is the most delicious way of having juicy succulent fish with the crisp flavor of shallot and lemony tart taste of steamed lemon.
This recipe is packed with awesome aromatic summery flavors with least time standing near the stove on those sweltering hot days.
3 surprise elements in this salmon with shallots recipe.
- Searing salmon in the empty non stick pan without oil gives the best browning (not burning).
- Once the lid is put on the pan for cooking the fish it is removed only before serving. That is the lid should not be opened in the middle of cooking.
- This one is the best – that the Meyer lemon wedges were not bitter at all after cooking instead the rind tasted lemony sweet and tart which was perfect with the umami flavor of fish.
How is the fish in this recipe is cooked well on both sides without flipping it?
Using similar size pieces of fish fillets for even cooking.
In this recipe the trick is to cook the fish in the heat trapped in the pan without allowing it to escape by opening the lid and trying to move or flip the pieces
The medium heat in the beginning will brown the fish well and later on the trapped heat inside the pan will cook the fish evenly. The last bit of final cooking happens with the residual heat and steam as it sits on the stove top with covered lid, the flavors begin to seep into the salmon pieces at this time which makes it tender and juicy. This method is called moist-heat cooking technique.
When you insert a fork the flesh should give in without any resistance. The salmon fillet flakes and separates along the white lines that run across the fillet. If salmon is cooked beyond well done it becomes really dry and crumbly.
Salmon with shallots recipe
Salmon fillets – 3 ( fleshy pieces of similar size)
Shallots – 15 -20 chopped 250 gms approx (white or red pearl onion can be used)
Fresh lemon wedges – 4-5 pieces.
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Paprika powder – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Garlic powder – 1/4 tsp
Dried parsley – 1/2 tsp
Rice wine vinegar – 2 tsp or as per liking
Olive oil – 3 – 4 tsp
Salt to taste
Spring onion – few sprigs chopped
Parsley leaves – few sprigs chopped
- 1. Peel and cut the shallots into small rounds and keep it ready.
- Wash the Salmon fish fillets well pat them dry.
- Mix the all the ingredients given in marinade section.
- 2 . Heat an empty wide non stick pan on medium heat and place the fish fillets directly on it, neatly on it without overlapping, flat in one layer. This helps in browning faster and even cooking.
- Now drizzle 1/2 the marinade equally on top of the 3 pieces.
- Spread the cut shallots on top of the fish evenly.
- Drizzle the rest of the marinade mixture on top of the shallots.
- Put lemon wedges on the fish pieces. Squeeze half a lemon too over the fish. Immediately cover the pan with its lid (preferably glass lid so u can see if the heat is drying out the fish)
- 3. Cover and cook undisturbed for 15 minutes on very low heat without opening the lid. (High heat will dry out the dish so keep an eye on it)Once covered do not open the lid and check.The heat trapped in the pan cooks the fish to perfection.
- Switch off heat (do not open the lid to check) and allow it to rest on the stove top itself for another 15 minutes with the lid closed.( The fish should look moist and there should be pan juices inside)
- After 15 minutes of resting open the lid and serve.Pour all the remaining juices in the sides of the pan on top of the fish before serving.Garnish with chopped spring onion and parsley.
Serve along with the cooked lemon wedges. It tastes sweet and tart not bitter as expected . Tastes excellent with fish.
Other interesting salmon recipes to try :
Hope you will give this recipe a try.