Coconut crusted cod fish -Delicious baked fish with all the goodness of coconut. Crispy on the outside soft flaky and very flavorful inside. A light summery meal served with fresh cherry tomato salad and baby potato roasted.
On another note I am completing 6 years of blogging and I thank all my readers for being with me in my learning journey. My style of cooking has changed over the years due to my allergies. I do cook heavily spiced Indian dishes but these easy to bake dishes are slowly becoming my go to ones. And I am happy to say that this seafood dish won me 2 nd place in – Cook with Coconut, an online contest run by Better Butter India.
Coconut crusted cod fish recipe:
Large Cod fish fillets – 2 (Any fleshy fish could be used)
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Garlic – 3-4 cloves
Small onion – 1 -2
Green chilli – 1 small (according to heat tolerance level)
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coconut milk — 4 tbsp
Coconut grated – 1 cup approximately (Use unsweetened dry desiccated coconut instead)
Chili powder – tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/3 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut oil – 2 tsp ( to grease the foil)
1. Coarsely crush ginger, garlic, small onion,green chili and curry leaves together.
2. To coconut milk add the crushed spice mixture, chili powder, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
3. Wash the fish fillets well. Drain all the water and pat dry with paper towel if needed and immerse it in coconut milk mixture. Make sure the fish is lying flat in one layer and is completely coated in the mixture so it absorbs the liquid well.
Allow it to marinate for atleast 20 minutes and leave if for 40 minutes if u have time.
4. In the meantime warm up the fresh grated coconut by sauteing it in a dry pan on medium heat just until it slightly crisps up. This ensures all the water is evaporated. Do not allow it to change color that is keep it white. NOTE: Skip this step if using dry desiccated coconut
5. Line the baking tray with aluminium foil. Apply a tsp each of coconut oil on the spots where the fillets will be put. now spread some coconut on the prepared spots.
6. Lightly drain the marinated fish fillets and place it on the assigned spots.Sprinkle remaining coconut on top of the fish.
7. Bake at 400° F / 200 ° C for 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked and the top becomes golden brown.NOTE: Don’t leave for too long in the oven as the coconut will burn and ruin the dish.
8. Once the fish is cooked remove immediately from oven. Allow it to cool down for few minutes and serve.I have paired the paired the coconut crusted cod with fresh cherry tomatoes and roasted baby potatoes.
1.Use a fish spatula to remove fish from baking tray to avoid crumbling.
2.Fully cook baby potatoes on stove top when cool cut into 2 apply little olive oil/ coconut oil, salt and pepper and spread on a baking sheet on a single layer. Put it in the oven while fish is baking this makes it crispy also helps saving on time and energy bills too.
Other baked fish recipes:
Hope you like this coconut crusted cod fish recipe and would give it a try soon.