Beetroot and goat cheese salad is a show stopper Fall or Winter side dish. The textures and flavors of fresh colorful ingredients without any heavy dressing.
The beetroot crisp apple and sweet grapes bites in-between with the nuttiness of the white beans is truly a riot in the mouth.
- Beetroot – add beautiful bold color and crunch to the salad
- Goat cheese – adds texture and creaminess to the salad
- Fruits - Any fruit of your choice can be added contrast colored fruits like peach nectarines etc well look pretty and taste good too. I have used granny Smith apple cherry tomatoes, sweet grapes etc to add different textures and flavors.
- Herbs - mint mint, dill or other sweet herbs would taste nice in this recipe. I have used sweet Basil leaves here.
- Vinaigrette - a light mix of balsamic vinaigrette with olive oil oil it's drizzled on top of the salad. No heavy dressing is needed as it will mask the flavors of the delicate goat cheese and fresh ingredients.
- Seasoning - instead of the regular salt and pepper mix I have gone with the unconventional everything bagel seasoning for a change and it really works because the sea salt and the seeds add a little bit of crunch and flavor to the salad.
- Beans - Any nuts like walnut, pistachios or cashew could be added to the salad but I decided to make a different choice and add more cooked beans to the salad. Beans are slowly releasing carbs that can keep you full for a longer time especially in the winter. You may add other cooked carbs like quinoa, couscous or rice to the salad to make it a full meal. Big beans look prettier in salad.
Which bean to use ?
I have used Northern white beans here, you may use any bean of your choice. Other bean options such are navy beans, Cannellini beans, lima beans, pinto beans, Fava beans, Kidney beans etc. You may use canned beans or dry beans. If you are going to use dry beans remember to soak it overnight so it cooks well and does not make you feel bloated. Dry beans are much more economical and healthier option as you have to control over all the ingredients that go in it for example sodium specially if you are on the older side. Soaking beans can considerably reduce the bloating and stomach upset issues.
Cooking white beans in the instant pot :
Soak the desired amount of white beans in plenty of water and allow it to sit overnight. This helps the beans to absorb water and cook uniformly in the instant pot.
You may cook soaked beans on stove top too. Each bean may differ but the last time I tried it took me around 10 minutes on medium heat.
Other salad recipes:
Bean curries to try :
Pumpkin and red beans curry with coconut
Beetroot and goat cheese salad
- 1 large Beetroot cooked
- 2 tbsp Goat cheese
- 1/2 cup White beans cooked
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 tsp Everything bagel seasoning
- 1/2 - 1 Gala apple
- 8 Cherry tomatoes
- 8 Grapes
- 4 sprigs Basil leaves
- Cook the beet in the instant pot for 15 minutes whole after 10 minutes open the instant pot . when cool peel it and slice as per liking.
- Cook the beans in instant pot as soon as the beet is removed. For firm beans cook in manual pressure for 0 minutes and open after 5 minutes in low by releasing pressure. The longer it sits the mushier the beans get.
- If you think the beans turned mushy do not stir it instead immerse in a bowl of ice cold water with ice cubes to stop cooking and come back to shape.Do not touch until beans are fully cold.Drain off all the water and use the beans.
- Apply a lavish table spoon per serving of goat cheese on each bowl then carefully lay the veggies without mixing so the color doesn't ruin all the white food. Drizzle some balsamic vinaigrette and few drops of olive oil sprinkle some everyday bagel seasoning and serve the salad immediately.
Do you give this beetroot and goat cheese salad I try and let me know how it tastes.