Melon salad sweet and spicy has all the fresh and colorful fruits available in summer. The flavoring includes citrus, fresh mint and hot honey making this salad a sweet, spicy and citrusy.
- Uses of a melon baller and other alternatives
- Ingredients list and substitutes
- Steps for making melon salad
- How to serve and store leftovers
- Other popular fruit salads to try
Uses of a melon baller and other alternatives :
Melon baller(pic 1) brings eye appeal and uniformity.
Use other kitchen utensils like a measuring spoon (pic 2 ) or round scoop (pic 3 )with thin sharp edges to cut into the fruit. Highly recommend buying an inexpensive melon baller (NOT SPONSORED ). it is so much fun to see perfect round fruit balls. Look for the one that has a flat scraper (pic 4) in the back rather than another size of baller. The scraper is quite sturdy and efficiently cuts into the fruit scraps and makes the job easy to collect. Tastes good in any shape simply cut into cubes if that is all you prefer to.
Ingredients list and substitutes :
- Watermelon : Use seedless small watermelon to avoid seeds coming in the mouth white eating the fruits.
- Honeydew : Honeydew may need little more pressure to scoop out but it will come out perfectly as you go towards the bottom.
- Mango : Use a sightly under ripe fruit for the the sweet spicy tart flavors to work in the salad. When the mango is too ripe it is hard to hold the shape
- FRUIT SUBSTITUTES : According to the season peaches , nectarines, cantaloupe, grapes, berries, cucumber etc can be added.
- Honey : I have used hot honey here. If using regular honey then add other flavors to add interest.
- Flavorings : Black pepper, paprika, sumac, tajin, chat masalas or other fruit flavorings can be added.
- Herbs : Instead of mint use basil or dill leaves for unique taste.
- Cheese : Crumbed feta goes well with watermelon salad. Adds a tangy flavor. Goes well with fruit and grilled meats.
Steps for making melon salad :
Use melon baller to neatly get a round ball of fruit, keep in an airtight container and refrigerate each fruit individually for pretty looking rounds. Fruits like honey dew may absorb other fruit colors and flavors.
Add the dressing and gently mix the chilled fruits and serve immediately. So the fruits like watermelon don't start letting out the juice and diluting the salad taste and appearance.
How to serve and store leftovers?
- Serve spicy sweet melon salad along with grilled meats or as an appetizer along with olive, herbed cheese, baguette crisps and honey nuts etc in an assorted platter.
- Great for summer lunch box.
- Make only what is required. Fresh fruits always taste best the same day. But if you have leftovers finish it by the next day. Could be thrown into morning smoothies as all the ingredients like honey lemon mint fit the breakfast category.
- If you are unable to finish always freeze the leftovers and throw into juice instead of ice cubes.
Other popular fruit salads to try :
- Watermelon salad
- Strawberry salsa
- Raw papaya and green mango salad
- Corn, pluot and grapes salad
- Kani salad
Melon salad sweet and spicy
- 1 Melon baller
- 1/4 Watermelon seedless small variety
- 1/4 Honey dew
- 1 Mango
- 1 tbsp Honey Hot or spiced honey
- 2 sprigs Mint leaves
- 1/2 Lemon Juiced
- Salt to taste
- Use the melon baller and scoop out the fruit going in a circular motion 2-3 times to get a close to perfect circle. Keep each fruit separately refrigerated until ready to assemble. Note : Use the back of the melon baller to scrape out the bits and ends and keep in another bowl this helps to get perfect rounds as you go towards the bottom. Use the ends and all the liquid collected to in juices or smoothie by giving it a good blitz.
- In a small glass bottle add the juice of the lemon add hot honey salt and mint leaves chopped shake vigorously until combined. Keep this dressing refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Assemble the fruits in a pretty bowl and pour the dressing over it and serve immediately to avoid fruits oozing liquid as it sits.
- Serve spicy sweet melon salad along with grilled meats or as an appetizer along with olive, herbed cheese , baguette crisps and honey nuts etc in an assorted platter as seen in pic attached
Hope you will give this recipe a try and let me know.
You know Meena I have been hesitant to buy it but now I am thinking my kids are going to love this idea of scooping the fruit like ice cream.
I am sure they will eat more fruits this way. Thank you for stopping by.