Kale pasta salad, a refreshing and delicious salad I have tried in a long time. If kale has not impressed you yet then I insist go for this one.
This unassuming salad is currently the most popular one among my friends. I mean to convince all ages especially make a green salad pass a picky young adults test these days is perhaps the most difficult task.When they willingly scoop kale salad … Ah! I must say I am might pleased with this deli style pasta salad.
What more it stays well in the refrigerator for 3 days . Which makes it the most ideal make ahead vegetarian salad for parties. It transports well so for that makes it very suitable for potlucks or your lunch too. A keeper recipe!
Kale – 8 to 10 fresh tender kale leaves
Cellentani pasta – 1 cup ( or any other tube shaped pasta is fine)
Sun dried tomato (julienne cut) – 3/4 th from the 3 oz bag (I used)
Basil pesto – 1 1/2 tbsp storebought ( I used)
Balsamic vinaigrette – 1 tbsp ( I used Kraft brand)
Olive oil – 1 tbsp (evoo preferred )
Feta cheese – 4 oz crumbled
Parmesan cheese grated – 1/2 cup
Italian seasoning – 1 tsp
Garlic powder – 1/2 tsp
Chili flakes – a pinch
Sugar a pinch
Salt to taste
- Cook the pasta as per the instruction on the box. Reserve a tbsp of pasta water and drain all the rest.
- Mix olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder,Chili flakes, sugar. Now dump the pasta with reserved water into this. Mix everything together and keep it aside so the pasta absorbs all flavors.
- Wash the kale well and separate the leaves from the stem. Discard stems and thick ribs. Dry the leaves thoroughly with a paper towel. Roughly chop into bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl add pesto, balsamic vinegar salt and the kale. Use your lovely hands to mix this well and bruise the leaves by crushing them lightly inside your palm until the color turns dark green. The intention is reduce the size to half and not completely dead.
- When the pasta has reached room temperature add it to kale mixture also add in the sun dried tomato and give it a good stir. Now add the cheeses, toss everything together very gently. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Tastes good next day too.
- Note : The flavoring measurements can be altered, increasing tartness enhances kale’s taste.
Best combination : Baked seafood ideally salmon, roasted turkey, or barbecued meat. The tart flavors in the salad goes very well with the umami dishes.
If you haven’t noticed the red, white and green salad is very Christmasy too right!
Hope you like this one and give it a try.