Cajun butter salmon is a quick and healthy potion size meal option. An easy week night meal in 25 minutes.
When salmon steam baked in an envelope the flavors and aromas are locked inside. The butter beautifully melts and makes the fish tender without direct heat making it overcooked and dry. This also prevents the spice powders from blackening. Needless to say makes clean up super easy.
Eat with your five senses :
In mindful eating it says Engaging one or all of our senses at least for meal per day can improve mood, stress levels, and overall well-being. We could easily achieve it here in this recipe idea. Cut the top of the packet with scissors and garnish with fresh herbs right at the dining table for the person dining to visually see the steam and inhale the seafood and spice, butter aromas.
Effective method of cooking seafood:
This technique of cooking salmon is called al cartoccio in Italian or En papillote in French. It is a method of cooking in which the food is put into a folded pouch or parcel and then baked. Parchment paper, paper bag or aluminum foil is used by folding the edges and making a packet. The parcel holds in moisture to steam the food. Most often used to cook fish or vegetables, but other meats can be cooked too. It is a combination cooking method by baking on the outside and steaming happens inside the packet.
Depending on the recipe the moisture may be from the food itself or from an added liquid such as wine, stock, fats, dressings or water.
The highlight is to open the packet at the table to allow people to smell the aroma of the food steaming inside.
Ingredients list for cajun butter salmon :
- Fish fillets : Any white fish or fleshy fish of your choice could be used. Remember to adjust the cooking time according to the thickness of the fillet else they may fall apart. Tilapia ,Cod, Swai and of course shrimp/prawns are the best.
- Seasoning mix : Cajun and seafood are a proven combination but you are free to go with other seasoning mixes too. Remember less is more. A simple salt and pepper + butter or paprika turmeric salt + coconut oil also tastes equally good.
- Fat : Butter elevates the dish to the next level but you could substitute with coconut oil too.
- Herb : Herbs like spring onion, chive, dill or curry leaves go very well with seafood.
- Other options : Honey , garlic powder etc can be added for different flavors but in this recipe I love the paprika flavors to stand out without the heat.
What does cajun seasoning contain?
- Garlic powder
- Dried Italian seasoning
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Onion powder
- Cracked black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes
NOTE : Serve the salmon in the foil so the butter and the spice sauce stays in the foil as seen in pics here for best results. Instead of opening all the folded edges use a scissors and open just the top half of the packet. Caution : It is steaming hot inside.
Salads to serve as for sides for seafood :
Steps for making cajun and butter seasoned salmon:
Pack neatly and tightly. Lift the corners slightly else the butter sauce has a tendency to flow from the sides.
Other popular salmon recipes to try:
- Salmon with shallots (stove top recipe)
- 20 minute honey glazed Salmon
- Baked salmon with Kerala masala
Appetizer and salad
Cajun butter salmon
- 2 fillets Salmon fillets
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt Add only if needed as cajun seasoning contains salt
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 3 sprigs Spring onion
- Wash the fillet in cold water quickly and pat dry with paper towel if needed.
- Apply paprika powder, turmeric powder and salt on the fillets and let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Into an aluminum foil -10inch X10 inch (or more ) place one marinated fish fillet sprinkle about 1 tsp of cajun seasoning on top. Keep a slice of butter on top and fold the edges of the aluminum foil into a flat packet. As seen in step pic. Remember to lift the sides so the sauces do not escape due to the pressure of the steam. Repeat for each packet
- Bake the fillets on a baking tray at 375 ° to 390 °F. For 15 to 20 minutes. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes outside then serve immediately with salads or greens of your choice. NOTE : Cut the top of the packet with scissors and garnish with fresh herbs (spring onion)only at the dining table for the person dining to see the steam and experience the aromas.
- Remember to lift the sides of the foil so the sauces do not escape due to the pressure of the steam
- Serve the salmon in the foil so the butter and the spice sauce stays in the foil as seen in pics here for best results. Instead of opening all the folded edges use a scissors and open just the top half of the packet.
- Caution : It is steaming hot inside the packet enough to scald your fingers.
Hope you will give this easy cajun butter salmon a try and let me know your feed back.