Cranberry goat cheese bites are perfect blend of sweet and spicy delicious holiday appetizer. Different delicious textures and flavors packed in each layer. An excellent gluten free vegetarian starter option.
Whipped goat cheese with fresh rosemary add in nice flavor this.This crispness to toasted walnuts, the tanginess of unsweetened cranberry sauce and the drizzle of the maple syrup on top ties up all the flavors together. It is a bite - size flavor bomb on top of the crispy sweet potato slices.
I have worked on getting all the US-made products, locally sourced ingredients starting from cranberry, pure maple syrup to goat cheese ,home grown rosemary. Except may be the flaky salt which is completely optional.
- Points to note
- Ingredients and substitutions
- Other option for holiday appetizer recipe
- Make ahead
- Other popular recipes on the blog
Points to note:
- The slices of sweet potato gets a coating of olive oil salt and pepper and roasted in the oven until almost crisp. Since the slices are thin it won't take long to cook. But if the slices are cut too thin the chances burning are high. If the slices are too thick it will be soft in the middle and the you may not get the intended results.It may fall apart easily. Hence make sure to cut the slices evenly.
- Goat cheese is like cream cheese. But only at room temperature you will be able to whip it properly into a smooth texture.
- Make sure you chop the rosemary into find bits and else it is too hard to chew this herb. Use the most tender tip end leaves. Do not use any woody part of the plant.
Sweet potato are naturally gluten free. Make sure you do not add any breading or any flour coating while baking these.
Totally up to you but It is always best to leave it unsweetened in this recipe as you are adding pure maple syrup which adds natural sweetness to the appetizer.
Ingredients and substitutions :
- Sweet potato - Potato crisps, chips , any strong base that holds shape works. Crostini (made from thin white baguette bread) Bruschetta ( made from Italian or sourdough bread)
- Maple syrup - Use hot honey, plain honey, agave or any sweetener of your choice.
- Nuts: Pecans, hazelnuts cashew nut basically any toasted nut you like to add.
- Cranberry sauce - Jam , jelly, chutneys like apple or mango sweet chutney works well in this recipe.
- Cheese - You may add any cheese that melts fast like a thin layer of brie or grated parm, then bake until it melts. For adding just before serving - feta mixed with a drop of milk, cream cheese, ricotta or mascarpone will taste awesome.
- Milk : Milk is added to the goat cheese to get a spreadable consistency.
Other options for holiday appetizer recipe :
- This recipe can be made completely savory by skipping the maple syrup.
- Instead of goat cheese if brie cheese is used it can be baked along with sweet potato during the final few minutes. Add it as the final topping along with cranberry sauce. 2 minutes of baking would do. Serve immediately.
- Sweet potato adds volume and base to this holiday appetizer but you could go with a nut, sauce and cheese only option and roll into balls which is good option to go carb free.
Make ahead part of the recipe:
- The whipped goat cheese can be made ahead of time and refrigerated overnight bring it to room temperature before applying on the sweet potato.Soft cheese is much easier to spread on the delicate sweet potato skin.
- Bake the sweet potato overnight and use the next day. Make sure they don't turn dry.
Other popular appetizers on the blog :
- VEGAN APPETIZER OPTIONS:
- VEGETARIAN APPETIZER OPTIONS
- NON VEGETARIAN APPETIZER OPTIONS
Cranberry goat cheese bites
- 2 mediums sized Sweet potato
- 2 tbsp Cranberry sauce unsweetened
- 2 tbsp Toasted walnuts
- 2-4 oz Goat cheese
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- Few sprigs Rosemary
- 1 pinch flaky salt
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Wash and scrub the sweet potato off all the way dirt and sand on top. Pat it dry slice into medium thickness rounds. A bowl in a bowl add olive oil, salt and pepper and toss in the sweet potato slices until everything is evenly coated. Lay it flat on a greased baking tray.
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F and bake the sweet potato slices for 10 to 15 minutes. Until the slices are slightly brown and crisp on the edges.
- Into the goat cheese that is at room temperature add the milk few drops at a time and whip it will do a smooth consistency. Add the chopped rosemary along with it.
- Onto the cooled sweet potato slices apply the goat cheese, toasted walnut bits, a small spoon of cranberry sauce drizzle a few drops of maple syrup and finally 2-3 flakes of flaky salt .Serve immediately at room temperature.drizzle with the maple syrup.
- Do not assemble all these ingredients and leave the appetizer for long since everything will start spreading and the sweet potato will get soggy.
- Keep everything ready and assemble it just before serving, this way all the textures are intact and looks pretty too.
Hope you with give this delicious Cranberry goat cheese bites a try for the holidays and let me know.