Garlic shrimp -My new favorite way of making shrimp, needs just 5 ingredients and results in the most flavorful juicy shrimp ever. A recipe suitable for all weather conditions. Works as appetizer or side dish.
Perhaps the easiest way to cook shrimp without any fancy sauce and I can assure you the its the tastiest. On a week night its a life saver as there is no long cooking time like beef or even chicken and you can pair the garlic shrimp with anything like salad, plain rice, pilaf, noodles, pasta or tacos. The flavors mingle well with any type of cuisine. Indian, Mexican, Italian,Chinese you name it.
This recipe is super simple but I have a few tips to get best results.
- Marinate for 15- 20 minutes. You want the shrimp's natural flavor to stand out and not the condiments .
- Add garlic chopped instead of garlic paste this helps in getting it caramelized slowly and not burning in the pan as soon as you put it in the there.
- Do not crowd the pan this will simply boil the shrimp from all the natural juices coming out of it and it will not get a chance to sear.
How to know if the shrimp is cooked ?
If the shrimp is straight it is not cooked. If you cook it too long the shrimp looks like an 'O' and this indicates it is overcooked on tasting it would be hard and rubbery. The rightly cooked shrimp should look like 'C' the color would be pink on the sides with opaque center and white on the edges. When you taste it should give in without any resistance or chewiness. Shrimp needs very little cooking time. The more you cook the harder it becomes.
I don't go so much by shape but definitely try a piece to check if it's done. Also I do not leave shrimp unattended while cooking because every batch of shrimp is different depending on SIZE and freshness.
If the shrimp is previously frozen and stored for long the cooking time may vary and it does not taste as good as the fresh catch.
Try these on the side
- Creamy Potato Salad with Mint
- Purple Potato Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette
- Vegan coleslaw
- Corn, Pluot and Grape Salad
- Quinoa Salad ( Zero oil recipe)
Other shrimp recipes to try
Other mouthwatering shrimp recipes to try:
Hope you will give this Garlic Shrimp recipe a try and let me know.