Baked chicken cutlet is a delicious bite size patty crispy on the outside and soft inside with lightly spiced chicken and potato filling.
If you have mashed potatoes, cooked shredded chicken and some bread crumbs you can make delicious chicken cutlet. It is a freezer friendly, budget friendly make ahead crowd pleasing chicken dish.
If you are meal prepping -Take one whole chicken's meat and double or triple this recipe. Freeze the cutlet in batches of 20 with parchment paper lining and you are good to go for a long time and feed a large family economically.Just make sure the ratio is 1:1 of the chicken and potato, more of chicken pieces tastes even better. Don't go for more of potato as it turns out mushy inside and boringly starchy.
- Use leftover chicken pieces or leftovers from rotisserie chicken.
- If making from scratch- use bone in pieces to get the max out of one whole chicken. Use the breast and leg pieces for other pretty recipes such as -----
- Reserve the stock in which the pieces are cooked in other recipes like soups ----
- When the stock comes to room temperature pour into a bottle and store in the refrigerator or ice tray and freeze those cubes for later use in a ziplock.
- Potatoes should be cooked until soft on a trivet and not directly in water . This ensures it does not absorb any water. Steam inside the pressure cooker cooks the potatoes perfectly.
- Do not let the potatoes sit inside the pressure cooker for long because it will absorb the moisture present.
- Promptly remove the potatoes from the cooker once it is cooked immediately remove on to a plate once it reaches bearable heat start peeling and then mashing. The result should be a lump free perfectly powder mashed potato without too much moisture. Note :- Once the potatoes are cool it is hard to peel and mash.
- Use homemade bread crumbs to know to taste difference. Use 2-3 days old bread.
- The bread is fried in this recipe for the color taste and texture will not get from regular baked cutlet.
- Freshly group black pepper tastes and smells so much better than readymade one.
- Turmeric powder , chili powder and some green chillies and coriander leaves will enhance flavor . A sprinkle of garam masala will elevate the cutlet for sure
Refrigerate ready to bake leftover cutlet with parchment paper in between (check video) Make big batches freeze unto 3 months if not using immediately. Need not thaw bake for few extra minutes if frozen.
Baked cutlets can be refrigerated and reheated in microwave( for 40-60 seconds )within two days of making.
It can be served as an appetizer, cocktail snack, short eat /snack with ketchup or sides with salad for lunch or make a bigger one and serve as a patty with burger. In our homes it is served with rice and other curries.
Makes a good car snack to have in-between after school classes to keep the kids full until dinner.
No, It can be fried too. Oil makes everything taste yum.But if you are trying to avoid the oil this is the best option where the bread crumb is slightly fried and roasted so you want have a pale and sad looking dry cutlet.
OTHER SNACKS TO TRY :
Baked chicken cutlet
- 2 large Russet Potatoes
- 2 cups or more Shredded chicken
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 inch piece Ginger chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tsp Olive oil
For the coating
- Breadcrumbs Made from 4 slices of bread
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 5-6 tbsp All purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tsp Olive oil
To boil potatoes
- Use an instant pot put the potatoes on the trivet so the potatoes don't touch water.Pressure cook for 10 minutes. Open after 10 minutes. Immediately remove on to a peel once it reaches bearable heat peel and mash potatoes
To make shredded chicken
- Use the bone in pieces cook in 1- 11/2 cups of water, salt and pepper powder for 10 -15 minutes when the flesh has turned soft, white and opaque. Remove from stock immediately. Allow it to come to room temp then shred with the help of a fork and tongs. Discard the bones. Cut the chicken into fine pieces or run in a vegetable chopper.
To make the brown bread crumbs (This step is optional but makes a lot of difference)
- Use store bought plain breadcrumbs or make your own by running a slice at a time in a chopper or blender until fine.Heat 2-3 tsp of olive oil saute the bread crumbs in by stirring continuously add a tsp of paprika powder, salt and pepper powder. Keep mixing until the bread crumbs have turned crisp on touching and brown in color. Keep aside to cool (Do not leave on stove top it will burn)
To make the cutlets
- Heat 2-3 tsp olive oil add ginger then garlic saute until a nice aroma comes now add the chopped onion saute intermittently until it is cooked and soft add the shredded chicken, salt and pepper powder. Mix until everything is well combined. Add the mashed potatoes mix everything well allow. this mixture to cool down.
- Keep the dredging station ready -1 ) Plate -Plain A P flour 2) Bowl - Plain A P flour mixed with water to make a loose batter.3) Breadcrumbs - prepared earlierShape the chicken mixture into a ball then to desired shape roll in flour dust off excess then dip in bowl filled with batter shake off excess then roll in bread crumbs with dry hands .
- On a very lightly greased tray bake at 350-375 ° F and bake for 20-25 minutes by turning once in between.Serve immediately with green salads or rice and other dishes or as an appetizer /snack
- Refrigerate ready to bake leftover cutlet with parchment paper in between (check video) Make big batches freeze unto 3 months if not using immediately. Need not thaw bake for few extra minutes if frozen.
Do give this baked chicken cutlet and let me know how it turned out.
I have been looking for a baked version of chicken cutlet. This is awesome! Love how the breadcrumbs look just as fried .
Chicken cutlet tastes really good even if its not fried.. guilt free right!