Marinated white beans in herb oil is the most buttery, creamy bean in an aromatic, tart vinegary sauce. Utterly delicious condiment made with simple pantry staples. Even bean haters can't resist, I PROMISE !
White beans are very delicate and has a velvety texture when cooked and absorbs all the flavors of the herbs. Pickled beans have a perfect blend of creaminess and tartness, extremely flavorful topping that goes well with a wide variety of boring or bland every day carb.
Trust me rice and beans have never tasted this good before!
This is a classic Italian recipe with Italian beans and Italian herb spice blend. You can make with freshly cooked dried beans and fresh herbs or cooked beans and dry herb blend or canned beans with fresh herbs. Will taste good in any combination you like. Just make sure the beans are of soft consistency for the buttery texture.
Surprisingly delicious condiment that immediately oomphs up the flavor of any unappealing dish!
- What type of beans can I use ?
- Dried beans soaked overnight VS directly cooked
- Food pairing -What to serve with White beans in herb oil ?
- Recipe Ingredients list and substitutes
- Step by step pics of recipe
- Other unexpected tried and tested beans recipes
Why should you try this recipe?
- Burst of flavor, goes with a wide variety of food
- VEGAN vegetarian condiment option
- Can be made in any season
- Most BUDGET FRIENDLY meals
- Gives bean haters another chance
What type of beans can I use?
Any kind of beans do you like can be used in this recipe. Bigger flat beans look pretty though. Note : Cooking times may defer depending on the bean used.
- Navy beans, Cannellini beans, Great Northern
- Kidney beans, Pinto beans
- Lima beans, Black beans, Fava beans
- Corona beans
Canned VS Dried beans ?
Totally your choice but on any given day I prefer dried beans. There is a noticeable difference in the texture of well cooked bean and canned one.
Dried beans soaked VS directly cooked ?
Again, totally your choice. I always soak the dried beans the previous night.
- While most websites tell you not to worry about soaking it is scientifically proven that soaked beans are digested better. Well cooked beans helps the stomach break down food without too much effort.
- Legumes including beans, peas, and lentil have high amounts of a natural compound called lectins. Some of the functions of lectins include the ability to bind to and clump the red blood cells together. Lectins also interfere with nutrient absorption from the intestines. Hence fully cooked until soft is the only advisable way of consuming it
- Raw bean is definitely harmful to health. Undercooked beans can induce indigestion bloating and other stomach issues.
- A good practice to inculcate that reduces the cooking time by half thus energy efficient in the long run.
What can I serve the White beans in herb oil ?
Marinated white beans can be served with a wide variety of carbs and baked non vegetarian items
- Crispy toast
- In a wrap
- Baked potatoes
- Baked squash such as butternut squash or spaghetti squash
- On top of cut veggies in salad
- Savory porridge
- Cooked white rice, brown rice
- Cooked sorghum, Quinoa, Couscous
- NON- VEGETARIAN OPTIONS
- Scrambled eggs
- Buttery shrimp
- Plain baked white fish
- Grilled chicken
- Barbecued ribs
How to cook the beans?
I usually go with instant pot but stove top works best in this recipe as the dried white beans available in the store these days cook very fasts once they are soaked overnight.
- If using an instant pot pressure cook overnight soaked beans adding plenty of fresh water. In MANUAL MODE for 1-2 minutes and QUICK PRESSURE RELEASE after two minutes. Important: Do not stir the beans with ladle instead wash once in ice-cold water to stop the cooking process. Allow this cool down before using. Cooked beans can turn mushy quickly.
- OLDER BEANS MAY TAKE LONGER TO COOK
Ingredients and substitutes :
- Beans : White beans like Navy beans, Cannellini beans or Great Northern beans taste best but any other flat bean with mild flavor should work.
- Herbs : Any combination of Italian herb should work here. Fresh Cilantro, mint etc too tastes good in this recipe.
- Acidity: Lemon or rice vinegar works best in this recipe along with the tartness of EV olive oil.
- Other ingredients :
- In a hurry use pesto with beans instead of making the vinaigrette from scratch.
- Roasted bell pepper
- Sun dried tomatoes in oil or dry
Serve white beans marinated on top of plain soft cooked warm rice and a cherry tomato salad. Most economical and budget friendly meals.
- This condiment taste best the next day
- The marinated white beans can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week in an airtight container.
- Best lunch prep recipe to keep handy in the refrigerator.
Best Vegan and vegetarian condiment to try.
Step by step pics for making white beans marinated
A very forgiving recipe that can be adapted to any cuisine of your choice by changing up the spices or using fresh local herbs of your choice.
Other unexpected tried and tested beans recipes :
- Beetroot and Goat cheese salad
- Mung beans
- Christmas salad
- Baby lima bean salad
- Best hummus
- 4 Bean salad
Marinated white beans
- 1 cup White beans Great Northern used here
- 2-3 tbsp EV Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Vinegar Mild variety
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- Rock salt
- Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water.
Instant pot cooking
- If using an instant pot pressure cook overnight soaked beans adding plenty of fresh water. In MANUAL MODE for 1-2 minutes and QUICK PRESSURE RELEASE after two minutes. White beans can become mushy quickly if stirred.Important: Do not stir the beans with ladle instead wash once in ice-cold water to stop the cooking process. Allow this cool down.
Stove top cooking
- Cook the beans in plenty of water on medium heat check in between for doneness. It may take 10 -15 minutes or less for white beans (Cooking time may differ with other beans) OLDER BEANS will take longer time to cook.
- Beans should be soft on pressing but still hold its shape. Allow the beans to cool down completely. Drain off all the water in it.
- Mix all the rest of the ingredients in the list given above. Stir well until combined then add the beans stir gently until all the beans are coated. Add more oil or vinegar if needed. (Note oil just needs to coat the beans and not cover on top like the other pickles)
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Use from the next day. Do not store more than a week. I have served here on top of plain soft cooked warm rice and a cherry tomato salad
- Do not cook white beans for too long as they are delicate and it can mash up fast.
- Adjust spices as per your wish.
- Instead of dried herbs and a rough paste of fresh herbs.
Hope you will give this delicious simple pantry staple ingredients beans marinated a try and let me know.
Thanks for this recipe Meena! Please post more of such budget friendly recipes.
Glad you liked this recipe. Will add more of such recipes.