Mango pudding made with arrowroot. No gelatin, no agar agar recipe. A light summer dessert that would cool your stomach immediately.
When mangoes are plenty here is a yummy pudding to have on sunny hot days. A light dessert after a nice lunch or brunch. Buy sweet ripe mangoes when they are in season. Tart mangoes will not produce sweet pudding as expected.
Arrowroot is a starchy root vegetable similar to cassava and taro. It has many medicinal properties and anti inflammatory. It is known to immediately reduce the stomach burning from the summer heat, is a proven home remedy. A plain porridge version is given during diarrhea to bring instant relief. This helps to rehydrate the body and prevents fluid loss.
More mango recipes to try before the season is over :
- Eggless Mango Ice cream without any machine
- Mango Cake with Mango Jelly
- Mango Cashew Dip
- Mango Kheer / Mango Payesh
- Mango Iced Tea
- Mango fruit leather / Fruit pulp drying using oven.
- Mango Lassi
For the pudding
- Mango pulp from 1/2 of one large sweet ripe
- Whole milk -2 cup
- Heavy cream -1 cup
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Arrowroot powder – 2 tbsps
- Cardamom – 2 pods powdered freshly
- Mango pieces – (from other half of one large mango)
- Candied fruit an- chopped (Agra petha used here
- Thyme sprigs to decorate
- Add 1 cup cold water to the arrowroot powder and mix well until there are no lumpsTo a wide pan add 3 tbsp sugar, arrowroot powder mixture (stir well again before pouring)Add 2 cups milk and 1 cup of heavy cream
- On a low heat keep stirring until it starts to thicken a bit.Do not leave it unattended as the arrowroot powder will settle at the bottom and clump up.Add the mango pulp keep stirring well.
- Now add the cardamom powder.Keep stirring until the mixture thickens well it should still be in pour able consistency.Keep the bowls or ramekins ready and pour the hot mixture straight from stove to it quickly. Fill to only just more than halfÂ so there is room to put toppings.
- Allow this to cool down completely and come to room temperature.Then refrigerate for two hours for the pudding to set well.The top firms up. Keep the pudding refrigerated until served.Keep the toppings ready. Decorate on top of the pudding as desired just before serving.
Please Note :
- Unlike gelatin or agar agar pudding this will not set firm up like jelly.
- Reduce sugar if using candied fruits. Candied pineapple, kiwi, ginger etc would complement well as a topping here.
I have been working on this pudding and a YouTube video. Would really like to know your thoughts and comments on it. No music is added on purpose I just wanted to keep the clanking noises real but is it bothering you. Hven’t heard from many of you since I moved to my own space if I may say so ur silence is killing me please speak … 🙂 cos your opinion in comments section matters.
Hope you would give this delicious MANGO PUDDING a try.