In bean recipes 4 Bean salad is a high protein high fiber VEGAN salad made from scratch using the instant pot. Tangy sweet inexpensive filling picnic food.
Bean recipes are handy ,with little bit of planning and soaking overnight you can make a big batch and have along with BBQ or pan grilled fish or poultry.
BEANS ARE SLOW RELEASING CARBS THAT KEEP YOU FULL FOR LONGER HOURS.
If you are in a hurry you can use the canned beans but trust me when I day this soaked beans pressure cooked correctly holds the shape yet buttery soft inside. There is a noticeable difference in the texture of well cooked bean and canned one. The latter gives a really grainy texture and has a bite to it especially the kidney beans and chick peas.
Bean recipes that you might like to try : Mung beans, Christmas salad, Baby lima bean salad Best hummus
Is it necessary to soak the large beans ?
If you like bean recipes a lot then its a good idea to keep theses points in mind.
- Soaking large beans overnight and pressure cooking is the most advisable cooking practice to follow.
- While most websites tell you not to worry about soaking I would say do your body some favor and help it break down food without too much effort.
- Legumes including beans, peas, and lentil have high amounts of a natural compound called lectins. Some of the functions of lectins include the ability to bind to and clump the red blood cells together. Lectins also interfere with nutrient absorption from the intestines.Hence cooking on medium to high heat until soft is the only advisable way of consuming it
- Raw bean is definitely harmful to health. Undercooked beans can induce indigestion bloating and other stomach issues.
Should each type of bean be cooked separately ?
Though it is time consuming this is the ideal way to cook. Each bean has different cooking time.
|Frozen lima bean||Cook for 3 minutes cover and keep for 20 minutes||Stove top|
|White beans||Soak overnight - Cook for 2 minutes - Quick PR||Instant pot|
|Chick peas||Soak overnight - Cook for 10-15 minutes - Natural PR (10 minutes)||Instant pot|
|NOTE||DO NOT stir the cooked beans in water.It will beak and turn mushy.|
Drain the liquid and rinse once in cold water to stop cooking process.
Why is the cooked lentil/ beans still hard?
- Old dry beans – Beans that have been in your pantry forever have passed their prime and needs to be tossed as you cannot salvage them in anyway. Can be fed to birds or used as pie weights if you have large quantities.
- Liquid level – Make sure the beans submerge in liquid to cook evenly.This helps to cook and expand evenly. When there is not enough water in the cooking pot the beans will dry out fast before getting a chance to soften.
- Tart ingredients – Adding too much acidic or tart ingredients like tomato , tamarind or citrus juices or vinegars will stop the cooking process and prevent the beans from softening.
- Hard water – The minerals in the hard water can interfere with the beans getting even cooked.
When buying lentils / beans what to keep in mind?
- Buy small quantities of beans and avoid bulk buying and storing if you are a small family of 1 or 2 people.
- Small pests attack stored lentils and beans easily and spread fast to other dry food items stored in the kitchen cabinet too creating a menace to clean up.
- Some beans are treated for pest control so much that they do not cook in spite of pressure cooking for long hours. Buy from reputed places and brands. Avoid scoop buying from open bins
4 Bean salad in Instant pot
- 3 tbsp Baby Lima bean cooked
- 3 tbsp White beans or Cannellini beans cooked
- 3 tbsp Garbanzo beans cooked
- 3 tbsp Red kidney beans cooked
- 1 pod Roasted garlic (Fresh roasted garlic used ) Instead use 2-3 fresh cloves minced
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and sugar to taste
- 1 tbsp Basil paste (Gourmet brand used here) Use pesto instead
- Small bunch Mint / Cilantro freshly chopped
- 2 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup Red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Red bell pepper chopped
- 1 handful Dried sweet cranberry
Soak 1 cup of each beans and cook as per the cooking time. Refrigerate excess and use to make salad more than once or for other recipes too.
- Soak the beans oven night and please cook each type of beans as per the chart given above.Use canned variety if pressed for time.
- Meanwhile mash the roasted garlic add the olive oil salt, sugar and basil paste mix well then emulsify the vinegar by mixing while poring the vinegar. Then add the chopped onion and red bell pepper.
- Drain the beans and add while its still warm this helps in absorbing the flavors better.Finally add the dried cranberry and fresh herbs like mint or cilantro too mix gently. Refrigerate overnight and serve the next day.
Bean recipes are a life saver. Its a good idea to have a few during lent season and budget cutting season.
Leave a Reply