Summer Corn Salad, a citrusy spicy sweet salad to spice up any meal with its fresh flavors made with all the ingredients you probably have in your pantry. Go for the locally sourced farm fresh corn, which makes it so juicy and sweet, truly top notch.
Living close to farms and friendly neighbors is an added bonus. Thank you dear Ms.Lynn.
As I grow older if find myself not liking the idea of eating grilled corn right off the cob cos I most likely end up looking like a lawn mower that just finished mowing a fresh grass patch 🙂 .Usually fresh corn is boiled and served chilled with hot, sizzling grilled steak or any meat. If that's too much corn then this dainty warm tortilla with crispy shrimp and freshly made spicy Summer corn salad is too good to pass. It is SO full of color and packed with flavors that will touch all the right spots.
Star ingredient :Corn ears -husk and silk removed. Good quality, small variety tender corn tastes best in this recipe.
Volume and supporting flavor- Small red onion/sweet onion, Red bell pepper, Tomato.
Spice and heat -Serrano chili, Garlic clove or powder works in this recipe
Flavoring agents : Hot sauce and lime juice
Garnish: Cilantro leaves
The cheese and mayonnaise. Let the spicy citrusy corn flavor stand out.
Cucumber does add volume but it also adds moisture.
Summer corn salad step pics :
The corn is pressure cooked to perfection without any hassle in the instant pot. it's time hence fail proof . Chop the veggies and add very little seasoning. That's all is needed for this salad.
Insider secrets :
Cooking corn : Traditionally corn was either boiled or grilled but pressure cooking is the fastest and easiest method without loosing much of the fish corn flavor.
Shrimp : The raw shrimp is marinated with paprika, turmeric and salt. Kept to marinate for 20 minutes then shallow fried in olive oil. In the remaining oil add some bread crumbs reduce heat when this turns light brown add paprika powder and garlic powder. Mix well switch off heat, then toss the shrimp back into the pan toss this well and serve immediately on warmed up tortillas.
Serving and storing :
Make ahead : Boil the corn the previous day and refrigerate it until ready to assemble. chop it off the cob two hours before making the salad. Cut all the rest of the ingredients just before assembling.
Summer Corn Salad
- 2 Corn ears husk and silk removed
- 1/2 of 1 Small red onion/sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove finely grated
- 1/2 of 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 Tomato diced
- 1 Serrano chili seeds removed and chopped
- few sprigs Cilantro leaves chopped finely
- 2-3 tsp Hot sauce
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1-2 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the corn ears into two , add 2 cups of water in the instant pot and cook till the kernels are soft but not mushy. MANUAL MODE -HIGH -4-5 MINUTES THEN LOW 20 MINUTES OR UNTIL NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE. OR I usually pressure cook it for 1 whistle ON STOVE TOP. Take it out of the water let it cool. With a knife chop the corn kernels neatly, as close as possible to the cob.
- Pour all the dressing ingredients into a bottle close lid tightly and shake well till everything is well combined.
- Put the onion at the bottom of the bowl u are going to serve the salad in and pour the dressing . Mix well. Now toss in all the rest of the ingredients except tomato. Toss everything gently. Add tomato pieces without making it mushy give one more gentle mix, Press everything yes ..very gently towards the bottom of the bowl so that it does not get soggy when u take it out to serve. They will stay tightly packed hence release less juices.You see that's the trick.
- Close the bowl with a tight lid and keep it refrigerated till it is ready to be served. You can play around with this recipe by adding more ingredients like honey, greens etc..or drench it in evoo etc.
Hope you like my version of summer corn salad.