30 minutes meal – Fish taco bowl is the easiest, bright and colorful home cooked meal you can put together effortlessly on a weeknight with a little bit of planning.
Veggie and seafood packed meal with carbs and crunchy red pickled onion to keep the interested 🙂
Points to note :
- 30 minutes meal cooking is approx time. ( I am not too fast in cooking hence if I can you too can.)
- Simply follow the STEPS given in the step by step instructions in the same order given in the recipe card. This will allow ample time for soaking, marinating, frying etc and still allow you to finish the cooking in 30 minutes.
- Plan your meals ahead of time so you have all the grocery in stock.
Invest in kitchen staple appliances like rice cooker and electric pressure cooker (not sponsored). They are crucial work horses in getting your everyday food ready on time as all of them can be put to work at the same time and frees up a lot of burner space.
These appliances can be timed and do not need individual attention which makes it ideal on a busy day. Just make sure to take care cook as per their cooking instructions and these last a long time.
Other options that can be used in 30 Minutes Fish taco bowl :
- I have used tilapia fish here but cod, halibut, flounder, haddock or mahimahi can be used. Just cook according to packet instructions as you may have to add a minute or two depending on the thickness of fish.
- The slaw has no seasoning just fooling our eye with the color minus the dressing.
- Use store bought salsa or guacamole and store-bought Cole slaw if you are too tired.
Fish taco bowl
- 2 Tilapia loin ( 1 per head add more if needed)
- 1 tsp Chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp Taco seasoning / any other seasoning of your choice will do Any Mexican fish rub
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tsp Rice vinegar
- 2-3 tsp Olive oil to shallow fry the fish
- 3/4 -1 cup Use any other carb of your choice/ fast cooking white rice I have used Basmathi rice here (Reduce qty if not big eaters)
Pico de gallo
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 small Red onion – chopped
- 1/2 Jalapeno (seeds removed)
- Few sprigs Cilantro
- 1/2 -1 Lime juiced
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 leaves Cabbage (Outer leaves of a full cabbage) shredded
- 1/2 Carrot (cut into match stick size pieces)
Step 1 -Start with Rice
- Measure, wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes in plenty of water.
Step 2 – Prep the fish
- Mix chipotle chili powder, taco seasoning, salt and pepper with 2-3 tsp of vinegar. Keep this ready
- Now wash the fish loins and pat dry with a paper towel. Apply the seasoning mixture on the fish and let it marinate for 20 minutes. Do not make gashes as the pieces may fall apart easilywhile frying INSTEAD -Prick with tines of the fork or tongs so the seasoning seeps in well (REFER VIDEO )
Step 3 – Cook rice in rice cooker adding enough water. OR Quinoa (Recipe link on top)
Step 4 – Prepping for pico de gallo
- Chop the red onion, tomatoes, jalapeno and cilantro add juice of lime and season with salt. Mix everything well and refrigerate until reday to serve.
Step 5 – Prepping for the slaw
- Remove the outer leaves of cabbage. wash thoroughly. Cut off all the blemishes and the thick vein in the middle and discard.Roll the leaves (as seen the VIDEO) and shred finely.
- Chop the carrot into match stick size pieces. (Season or dress if necessary) I skipped it.
Step 6 – Shallow fry the fish
- Heat a pan with 2-3 tsps of oil. Reduce heat to medium -low. Gently put the fish loins on the pan allow it to cook on 3-4 minutes per side. Serve immediately.
Get the bowl ready!
- In a bowl spead a ladle full of warm rice on it lay the fried fish, pico de gallo on one side shredded cabbage and carrot on the other side. Onion pickled & lime wedges too. A dollop of sour cream/ crema fresca would add the perfect zing.
Here is the recipe for ONION PICKLED
Hope you will give this 30 minute meal plan a try and let me know.