Green banana baked is the easiest hands free version of the Kerala style Kaya mezhukupuratti. With just 4 ingredients this crispy raw banana fries can be baked to perfection. Nutty sweet flavor of the browned banana elevated by aromatic coconut oil.The inside is soft and tender while the outside turns crunchy. A simple side dish usually served with rice.
CONTENTS (JUMP TO )
What is green banana and how to use in cooking?
Green banana is the raw / unripe banana fruit. When cooked it is like a blank canvas hence many ingredients can be added to this to enhance the taste. Unripe bananas can be a nutritious and a satisfying snack by itself or it can be added as ingredient for a number of recipes like chickpeas and raw banana stir fry . Just be sure to balance them with a variety of other vegetables as part of a healthy, balanced diet.
Why you should try this recipe?
Easiest appetizer/side dish made with just 4 ingredients. Insanely simple to make for any party or traditional Kerala meal. This recipe is not season dependent as raw bananas are now available year round.
- TASTE: The rich nutty fruit flavor of banana topped off with coconut oil fragrance.
- TEXTURE: Crispy on the outside and soft inside just like any potato fries
- TIME: It only takes 20 -25 minutes to bake but its hands free unlike deep frying!
- EASE: Needs 4 basic ingredients.
You can find many varieties of raw banana in most Indian grocery stores, in the produce aisle. Most American supermarkets and Hispanic grocery stores carry green plantains in the fresh produce aisle.
Green bananas have a high amount of dietary fibers and resistant starch, which can help keep your digestive system healthy and promote feelings of fullness. They also contain vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium. Remember the peel has more fiber so do not discard them.
Kaya mezhukupuratti is a popular dish in Kerala cuisine and is often served as part of a traditional Kerala-style meal. "Kaya" is the Malayalam word for green banana or green plantain, and "Mezhukupuratti" means stir-fry in the same language.
Yes, green banana has a stubborn stain. It can turn the finger tips black. Generously apply coconut oil to avoid staining. Thoroughly wash cutting board and knife immediately after using to avoid discoloration.
Yes, green banana fries are extremely flavorful. When done right the banana chips can hold the crunchiness for many days. The peel has to be removed and sliced on a mandolin and deep fried in oil.
While google promotes many raw banana recipes. Traditionally we do not consume raw banana as it can cause digestive issues and induce vomiting.
Points to note when cooking with raw banana:
- Raw banana and its peel have different cooking time hence the inside cooks much faster than the peel. The chances of the raw fruit getting mushy with cooking is high. To avoid this do not cut too think or too thick.
- Raw bananas oxidize quickly hence do not leave it open even for a few minutes. Mix the turmeric powder and salt and keep it in airtight container. Just like apple and potato raw banana develop a blackish brown color due to the presence of the enzyme polyphenol oxidase, when the enzyme comes in contact with oxygen, it causes a chemical reaction known as enzymatic browning.
- Raw unripe banana : Use any edible variety Plantain/ nendrakaya or burro tastes best .
- Spices : Basic spices such as turmeric, salt etc add flavor . Red chili powder can burn easily with heat. Add if needed towards the end of baking only.
- Oil : Use any oil for this recipe but coconut oil tastes best.
- Other ingredients : Add curry leaves while baking and it will crisp up and add a distinct flavor to the banana fries. Grated coconut also tastes good in this recipe.
FLAVOR ADDITIONS :
- You may add flavorings like shallots, red chili flakes, curry leaves , coconut grated etc
- Toss the baked green banana fries in gun powder , dried coconut chutney powder for extra zing.
- Vegetables that go well with green banana are long beans, dried lentils cooked separately can be added- green gram, Azuki bean (red chori or desi chori )
- Shrimp cooked separately can be added to this or dried shrimp fried can be added in the end.
Steps for making the green bananas baked :
Cut the banana along its curved shape to get even pieces.
A thin coating of oil allows the pieces to crisp up evenly and prevents from sticking to the bottom.
Do not disturb the pieces before firming up it will simply break and turn mushy. Once cooked and slightly brown it will come off easily from the foil.
SERVING AND STORAGE :
Serving suggestion: Crispy baked bitter gourd chips can be served as a side dish with any spicy mains. Traditionally pavakka kondattom is served with rice and spicy curries such as fish curry or chicken curry
Make ahead : Make fresh and serve warm for best results. Raw banana once cut can oxidize easily.
Storing leftovers: Leftovers can be kept in airtight container and refrigerated for unto 2 days. Reheat in the oven until it it regains some crispness. Sprinkling some water and and baking may help but be prepared for variation in texture while reheating.
Other unique traditional Kerala recipes made with unripe banana ;
- Chips with Green plantain - crispy fried chips
- Stir fry made with green peel
- Chickpeas with green banana in coconut - kootu curry
- Mixed vegetable stir fry - Avial
- Mixed vegetable curry - Ezhu curry kootu
- Mixed veggie mash -puzhukku
- Cutlet - Kele ka kabab
Green banana baked
- 3 Green banana
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 tsp Coconut oil
- Wash the banana and cut off the ends. Remove any blemishes and back spots seen on the peel. Divide each banana into 4 and slice into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
- Immediately add turmeric powder and salt and mix until all the pieces are coated. Cover with air tight lid and keep for 5-10 minutes. Then add few tsp of coconut oil and mix well until all the pieces are coated.
- Preheat oven at 350 F and on a coconut oil greased tray arrange the slices on a single layer and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until your desired crispness is reached.
- Serve the baked banana slices immediately for maximum flavor. Serve along with rice and other spicy curries as a side dish or as a snack/appetizer along with drinks.
- Do not leave the banana slices in the oven for too long as it will turn dry and hard. Remember the if the pieces turn dry it is difficult to eat the fries.The right doneness is when the inside is soft and the outside is crisp.
- Do not add too much turmeric powder as it will burn and taste bitter.
Here is another most frequently asked question.
Green banana powder is a product made by dehydrating green bananas and grinding them into a fine powder. It is a versatile ingredient that has become popular as a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour and as a natural supplement for digestive health. It's important to note that green banana powder has a different texture and taste compared to traditional wheat flour, so it may require recipe adjustments. Additionally, it's best to consume green banana powder in moderation, as excessive intake of resistant starch can lead to digestive discomfort.
Hope you like this recipe and let me know.