|Keep a lid HANDY to catch splutters (if any water is left on the slices) Do NOT cover while frying.|
Nendrakaya /Ettakaya / Unripe green cooking plantain / Macho banana – 3 – 4
Oil for deep frying – (best with coconut oil but vegetable oil or sunflower oil can be used )
Turmeric -2 tsp to wash
1.Cut off the ends of the plantains and remove the outer green peel by making a long slit (without cutting the plantain)and opening like a wrapper.
Take a large pot of water add turmeric powder and immerse the whole plantains in it for half an hour.
Now its time to show ur slicing skill. Either slice finely like me or use the micro plane slicer go for the thinnest slice option. If ur are confident with the slicer u can slice it directly into the oil.( Thats how experts at mass production units of chips do)
Note :If u think the plantain are too starchy and stains ur hand badly wash it once more in turmeric water. It ensures the slices won’t oxidize as it waits for frying.
Keep the slices on a large strainer and drain off all excess water give it a shake every now and then all the water goes off. (it may take upto half an hour)
2.Mix two tsps of salt in half cup water and keep it ready.
4. Put the fully drained and almost dry slices into oil about one handful is one batch and more if ur wok is really big. Keep stirring occasionally to make sure it does not stick to each other
When it is crisps up almost add salted water( right time is when u can feel the slotted ladle of yours hitting against dry wood).
Sprinkle 1 tsp of the salted water evenly on to the frying chips. (Don’t worry nothing will happen there will be some sizzling noises that’s fine don’t just do’t over do it that all)
5. Fry for two or three minutes more then remove onto a paper napkin. When cool keep it in air tight container. Use the plantain chips with in a week.
For more Kerala sadya traditional recipes check HERE.
- If u feel the chips have become soft due to humidity after two days then heat fresh oil quickly re-fry without browning and it will become crisp again.
- If using coconut oil it can go stale faster.
- Apply some oil on ur hands before peeling the plantains to avoid black stains on ur lovely hands.
- Wash the green peel thoroughly and it can be used while making kootu curry(chopped finely), thoran or Avial
Plantains for chips:(How to buy)
Look for green firm slender varieties of plantains for best results.
Even if peel turns slightly yellow the chips will taste sweet. It does taste good in that stage too.(sweet and salty kind)
If u live in US look in the fresh produce aisle for cooking plantain or macho banana or look in Mexican stores.
Hope you like this fried version of Kerala chips.
Happy Onam to all my dear readers.