Ethakka tholi thoran / Kaya tholi thoran / Raw plantain peel stir-fry made with the green peel of the macho plantain that is filled with nutrients and fiber essential for a healthy life style.
Here I am completing 5 glorious years of blogging. No regrets when I look back. I just did something I lovvve doing without anybody's help nor pressure. Docked this creative boat every time I felt there was nothing good to see and sailed only when I made good content. I thank all my readers for being with me and allowing me my space all these years. Hope you will continue to do so.
I donoo know how it is now but in those days the nearby chips sellers had a frying station in front of the store and would give the loads of peel for free.
- How to remove green plantain peel from fruit ?
- Stir fry FAQs
- Benefits of plantain peel
- Points to note while using plantain peel
How to remove raw green plantain peel from unripe fruit ?
Cut off both the ends of the plantain then make a slight slit on the peel insert knife and slowly dislodge the peel from the fruit. It may not come off as easily as the ripe one. Try removing section by section. Use the inside to make other stir fry or chips in oven or airfryer(do not discard).
Stir fry FAQs
The raw green plantain / macho bananas are made into the most delicious crispy fried chips their peel turns into equally tasty side dish filled with coconut and subtle spices.
This thoran started off as a by product of making chips. The plantain peel is rich in fiber and nutrients very healthy for the body unlike the fried chips.
In a traditional sadhya most often thoran is served towards the middle of top end of the leaf. Next to olan . One scoop is served per serving.
For the Kerala sadhya usually vegetables that are easy to clean and cut are used to make thoran as large amounts are to be prepared in a short time. Anything that do not shrink in size or too finicky to cook are not used. English vegetables like cabbage, carrot beans etc are very common these days but long back it was mostly yard long beans, full raw plantain, elephant yam or other indigenously found vegetables were used.
Green leafy vegetable stir fries are avoided on special occasion. They are harder to clean and reduce considerably in size after cooking. Hence not used in sadhyas.
Mini Sadhya : Ghee, Kerala matta rice, pappadam, nendrakaya chips, mango pickle , injipuli, Rasam. Ethakka tholi thoran, Sambar,Pineapple puliserry, Kadala kaya kootu curry , Paalada pradhaman, pazham. Traditional sadhya is served in a plantain leaf. The person having it is sits cross legged (barefoot)on a mat on the floor.
Benefits of plantain peel :
- High in vitamin A
- Speeds up cell generation
- Fiber rich peels are high in antioxidants
Points to note while using plantain peel :
- Make sure there are no blemishes or black spots on the peel.
- The plantain peel will turn dark ( due to the the presence of an enzyme called polyphenol oxidase, it oxidizes fast). Hence do not let it sit out for too long. As soon as you remove the peel start cooking else immerse in a pot of turmeric water to prevent oxidization.
- The plantain peel should be raw even if there is a slight ripeness we do not use.
- Raw plantain can stain the fingers and nails black it can be washed away after scrubbing well. To avoid this apply coconut oil on your hands before you start peeling and chopping it.
- Make sure to wear an apron as it can cause stubborn stain on clothes.
Other raw plantain peel recipes:
Kele ke kabab (Kabab with plantain)
Raw banana and chick peas with fried coconut
Ethakka tholi thoran / Kaya tholi thoran / Raw plantain peel stir-fry
- 5 peels plantain peel Ethakka tholi (raw green macho banana peel) chopped
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric powder
To grind coarsely:
- 1/2 cup Coconut
- 1 clove Garlic flake
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 2 Small onion/ shallot
- 1 Green chili
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Whole red chili broken into 2
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Coconut oil
- Cook the chopped peel adding turmeric and salt until 80% sprinkling some water on top.
- Meanwhile coarsely grind every thing together given under to grind coarsely.In another pan heat coconut oil add mustard seeds when it splutters add the whole red chili and curry leaves then the coarsely ground coconut mixture. When the aromas come from it add the cooked plantain peel saute for few minutes until everything is well combined and all the water has evaporated.Switch of flame and keep ethakka tholi thoran covered until served.
- I served the thoran along with a mini sadhya. All the items are given in the picture 's caption.
- Do not let the plantain peel sit out for too long. As soon as you remove the peel start cooking, else immerse in a pot of turmeric water to prevent oxidization.
Do give this recipe a try and let me know.