Sautéed Kale, a healthy bright green side dish to serve with any kind of protein to make a balanced diet. It takes just 3 ingredients to make this recipe, can't get simpler than this!
Ideal recipe to try for anyone with limited cooking skill or living with a basic kitchen, like students and people traveling abroad for work etc.
These days there are nicer options to add taste to your food so do not ignore the spice and condiment section in your grocery store. Everything bagel seasoning is basically a taste maker that contains seeds roasted seeds and salt.
Kale is green that is nutritious and easily available in most grocery stores in the US. Kale by itself is very rough and hard to chew. The flavor of raw kale leaves are slightly bitter, peppery most people avoid this green leafy healthy vegetable.
Softening the kale by slightly steaming does the trick. This helps in maintaining the bright green and most of the crunch but takes out the plastic like feel.
Ingredients and substitutions :
- Kale leaves : Any edible variety of kale leaves can be used, cabbage, drumstick leaves or other greens of your choice could be used
- Seasoning : Any cuisine seasonings work in this recipe and kale absorbs flavors well. Fresh grated coconut tastes delicious. check out this recipe Kale thoran
What is in everything bagel seasoning?
- Black sesame seed
- White sesame seed
- Poppy seed
- Dried minced garlic
- Dried minced onion
- Sea salt
What else can be added to kale?
Leaves and be kale leaves can be eaten raw just by it self or with a little bit of seasoning. The trick is to cook quickly on low heat.Aim for a bright green the crispy greens and not overdo it. As you know the more you cook greens it loses the bright green color becomes wilted. The nutritive value of the veggie is lost in the process.
Can this dish be prepared early ?
I always recommend freshly cooked greens I find that it loses its freshness and flavor as it sits for a long time the seeds soften and loses its bite too. Hence if you really have to prepare it early I would recommend washing the key leaves and doing the prep work early by chopping it finally and refrigerating it in an airtight container. Cook the kale leaves just before serving.
My other absolute favorite kale recipe is Kale cellentani salad . If you are looking for other green recipes then tofu spinach curry , Spinach rice , Cottage cheese and spinach curry are all good options.
Easy sautéed kale
- 5 stalks Kale
- 1/2 tsp Everything bagel seasoning
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- Remove thick stem from the kale leaves. Discard the stem and wash the curly leaves thoroughly as it may contain soil or sand particles.Shake off excess water. Hold a bunch of leaves and slice it thinly.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, when it heats up add the kale leaves stir well. Reduce heat and allow it warm up for 2-3 minutes. Open the lid and stir well. Once the leaves have wilted slightly add the everything bagel seasoning and remove from heat.
- Serve the sautéed kale immediately. As the kale leaves it it will lose its green and crunch. The seeds will start to soften and lose the bite.
- Use tender kale leaves for best results. Mature green leaves have a more peppery flavor and takes longer to cook.
- If you are using everything bagel seasoning then do not add salt as the taste maker already contains a lot of sea salt.
Hope you will give this recipe a try and let me know.