Spinach rice is an easy side dish made in 15 minutes with easily available ingredients. Goes well with grilled meats and seafood.
Why you should try this recipe?
- It is super easy to make and healthy too.
- Works well with most herbs you already have in hand.
- If you have leftover cooked white rice sitting in the refrigerator this recipe works even better as the hot rice tends to stick together.
What type of rice can be used ?
Use any light colored rice variety so the green color is visible. short or long grain anything is fine. Use other grains in this recipe if rice is not an option for you.
How long will the rice last under refrigeration ?
Up to 4 days. I would prefer freshly made rice as the herbs tend to loose the fresh aromas fast. I would say keep all the ingredients ready and make when you are ready to eat.That way you will have fresh food.
- Spinach: Use any other type of greens that you cook with Bokchoy, Kale etc just make sure to adjust the quantity as some greens can taste bitter. Grated broccoli or peas too makes beautiful green rice.
- Herbs: Dill, basil, thyme rosemary etc work really well. Do not go over board with the herbs that have competing aromas.
- Other spices : Turmeric, saffron, red chili flakes etc can add flavor
- Other options : Rice can be cooked in chicken stock, instead of olive oil butter could be used.
- Secret ingredient : Basil paste or pesto if you have that on hand add a tsp or two and that will elevate the flavor of the rice to the next level.
- I would avoid : Onion , garlic etc as they will mask the flavors of herbs.
DO NOT ADD HOT COOKED RICE. It will simply get mashed while sauteing with spinach.
Other rice recipes enjoyed here are -
- 1 bag Spinach
- 2 cups Cooked rice
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Lemon juiced
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Spring onion chopped +
- 1 tbsp Mint chopped + reserve some to garnish on rice
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped
- Cook the rice and keep aside to cool down. (If u have leftover white rice in the refrigerator that would be best. )
- Heat olive oil and add the herbs first when they give a nice aroma toss in the spinach sauté it for a few minutes add salt and pepper when it begins to wilt and leave out water immediately add in the rice so it absorbs all the green color and flavor. Continue sautéing until the rice and spinach has mixed gently together and it is evenly distributed.
- Switch off heat and add lemon juice on the rice mix once until combined. Spinach rice goes well with bbq meats or seafood.
- Do not saute rice for too long it may start breaking.
- Do not add extra water while cooking spinach as it will make the rice soggy.
Hope you will give this spinach rice a try and let me know