Spring salad with asparagus and basil citrusy baby lima beans is a delicious combination of crisp healthy green, with eggs and mozzarella cheese. The fragrant basil and lime adds flavor and punch to the greens. The hard boiled eggs and fresh mozzarella pearls bring a perfect balance to acidic flavors and textures in the salad.
Other Spring Salads you should give a try are Gnocchi and asparagus salad , Arugula and grape fruit salad to the healthy 4 bean salad made from scratch by soaking the beans.
Substitutions for spring salad ingredients :
- Instead of fresh mozzarella cheese feta cheese, Romano or asiago would be good. Feta is tart so reduce the citrus in the dressing in that case.
- Instead of lima beans fresh peas or cooked pastas such as orzo or quinoa or couscous could be added.
- Toasted nuts such as hazelnut or walnut could be added for the extra crunch
- Fruits such as avocado or mango sliced would add yummy flavor to the salad
- Go for other citrus juices to add in the dressing. Mustard , shallots etc can be added to enhance flavors but I wouldn't go overboard because all that will mask the clean flavor of asparagus.
Why use dried strawberry slices instead of fresh?
How often do you buy the strawberry cereals and find that all the strawberry slices are gone first. These are crisp n tart adds color and tastes yummy in a salad. They do hold shape for a while, absorbs the extra liquid from the dressing and plumps slightly.
How early can I make this spring salad ?
Freshly made tastes best here. An hour before serving is ideal when asparagus and lime beans have a chance to soak up all the flavors. You can cook and add half the dressing(just to asparagus and lima beans and keep it refrigerated a few hours early. Eggs can be cooked, peeled and kept in an air tight container But add all the rest just before serving. Remember salad is always about taste, freshness of veggies and above all visual appeal.
Spring salad with asparagus
- 1 bunch Asparagus Use fresh one for best results
- 1 cup Baby lima bean (I have used frozen here)
- 2-3 Persian cucumber slice before serving
- 2 Hard boiled eggs
- 6-8 mozzarella pearls Fresh
- 10-12 slices Dried Strawberry (Store bought)
- 1 handful Arugula leaves (Use basil leaves instead ) (pick the tiniest leaves from the salad greens mix)
- 1 tbsp Basil paste (or use pesto instead)
- 1 Lime /lemon juiced
- 1/3 cup Olive oil (good quality)
- 1 tsp Freshly crushed black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat a large pan with water adding salt. When it comes to boil add the asparagus cut into pieces. Give it a minute when it turns light green and crisp. Remove on to a wide plate and cook or put in ice bath to crisp up.
- In the same water add the lima bean and boil for 3 minutes and switch off heat and leave in the water for another 20-25 minutes. Once cooked drain off water and add 1/2 the dressing and mix gently add the asparagus too while mixing keep this covered refrigerated until ready to use.
- Meanwhile cook hard boiled eggs in an instant pot. Do check the video for details.When the eggs are cool ,peel and cut into two.
- For the dressing : Add all the ingredients given in the list to a small bottle with lid and give it a good shake.
- Cut the cucumber in round and long slices to keep things interesting .
- Assemble the salad as seen in the pictures here. Put few leaves of arugula first then lay a bed with the asparagus and lima beans and arrange the cucumber towards the edges so it won't get soggy fast. Spread the dried strawberry slices on top and also the cheese, egg sliced.Tuck the remaining arugula leaves in all the empty spaces. This way the salad won't turn soggy fast.
- Pour remaining dressing just before serving on top evenly or on the side for extras. Add some croutons or pasta and it can become the main meal or serve as side salad with grilled meats
Do give this Spring salad with asparagus and baby lima beans during this season and let me know how you liked it.
Leave a Reply