Boiled eggs in instant pot with beautiful yellow yolk, right softness and evenly smooth white perfect every time without any hassle is very easy to achieve.
If you haven’t tried hard boiled eggs in instant pot I urge you to try it.
I have been cooking egg in stove top method for so many years now, I haven’t had any trouble doing it. Never knew getting perfect egg is such a big deal and instant pot simplified matters… I had to try this like a science experiment and oh lord! it works so well that I may never go back to boiling in a pot on stove top. Going through unlearning and relearning process I guess. 🙂 The thought of no baby sitting needed and hands free cooking is priceless.
How long to boil eggs ?
You need to set the timing and the instant pot will do it for you. 4 minutes for cooking, 4 minutes for natural pressure release and 4 minutes in ice bath. For real hard boiled eggs for recipes like deviled eggs or other recipes which needs holding the shape for long go with 5-5-5. It takes away the guessing game and produces almost same result every time.
So hold on to this lucky numbers 5-5-5 . For slightly softer eggs 4-4-4 but 3-3-3 is the sweet spot I like.
When you cook egg in the instant pot the best part is you don’t have to watch it. Doesn’t boil over nor do you end up with undercooked or undercooked eggs ever.
HARD BOILED EGGS IN INSTANT POT FACTS :
Really fresh eggs don’t work well for hard boiled eggs. Instead a week old one works best.
Use room temperature eggs for best results.
Brown and white eggs take the sane time to cook.
Peeling little bit under running water helps separate the shell from the white.
Best and fastest power packed pre work out snack !
HOW TO COOK HARD BOILED EGGS IN INSTANT POT ?
Pour a cup water in instant pot. This is required to produce the steam for the egg to cook. We are not immersing the egg in the water here.
Place a trivet or egg stand inside the instant pot and carefully place the eggs in a single layer with gap in between to ensure even cooking.
Lock the lid and place the pressure nozzle to sealing mode.
Press manual button and set timer to 4 or 5 minutes (depending on the type of egg preferred).
Keep a bowl of ice with some water ready.
When the instant pot finishes cooking and after the natural pressure releases for 5 minutes carefully turn the nozzle from sealing to venting and release the left over pressure inside. Open the lid and carefully transfer the egg to the ice bath.
Start cracking the egg by lightly tapping on a hard surface, lightly roll by gently pressing against the surface until the peel starts coming out of the egg.
Note : instant pot takes time to build pressure it will say ON until the cooking starts. The cooking may take 10-15 minutes to start cooking.
After cooking the instant pot will start natural pressure release on its own. The count from L0:00 display panel this indicates the instant pot has started natural pressure release.
HOW TO GET PERFECT HARD BOILED EGGS IN INSTANT POT EVERY TIME ?
Use room temperature eggs for best results.
Do not pour more than one cup of water we are steaming the eggs so always use a trivet to separate eggs from water.
Instant pot does not need too much water to do the cooking so excess water may boil and spill over or spurt out through venting nozzle so please be careful.
Do not over crowd the eggs for even cooking.
Remove eggs promptly from instant pot as the egg continues to cook if it is allowed to sit in the heat.
Ice bath plunge works like a charm because it stops the cooking and the the egg white contracts as soon as it comes in contact with cold this detaches it from the shell and a light tap on the kitchen counter will crack the shell easily and the boiled egg comes out clean when peeled.
HOW TO PEEL HARD BOILED EGGS ?
Lightly tap the pointed end of the egg against a hard surface like the kitchen counter and then other end. Roll the egg once or twice on the counter gently. Once the shell is cracked all the way around it should peel away easily from the shell. It it still sticks show the cracked under running water and that should loosen up shell.
Perfect hard boiled eggs
- Instant pot or any pressure cooker
- Trivet or egg rack
- 6 chicken eggs
- 1 cup water
- Pour a cup water in instant pot to produce the steam for cooking the eggs
- Place a trivet or egg stand inside the instant pot and carefully place the eggs in a single layer with gap in between to ensure even cooking.
- Close the lid and turn the pressure nozzle to sealing mode.
- Press MANUAL button and set timer to 4 or 5 minutes (depending on the type of egg preferred)
- Keep a bowl of ice with some water ready.
- After 5 minutes of the natural pressure release carefully turn the nozzle from sealing to venting mode and release the left over pressure inside.
- Open the lid and carefully transfer the eggs to the ice bath. After allowing the eggs to rest 5 minutes take each one out.
- Start cracking the egg by lightly tapping on a hard surface, lightly roll by gently pressing against the surface until the peel starts coming out of the egg.
- If not using immediately refrigerate the eggs and use with in a week. With shell or without shell.
My takeaways from this experiment
Instant pot produces same result every time. Stacking produces uneven results Make only what is needed for a week max. Instant pot is not running away.
- Instant pot produces same result every time.
- Stacking produces uneven results
- Make only what is needed for a week max. Instant pot is not running away.
Egg recipes to try: