Mushroom rice on stove top without too many ingredients is the easiest to make on a weeknight for meatless Monday or a filling side dish to go with grilled or baked proteins.
Mushroom and rice, both can absorb any kind of flavor added to it. Any type of seasoning from any cuisine can be added and it will taste awesome. Here I have added richness with just butter and the original earthy flavor of the rice and mushroom is enhanced and stands out.
- Points to remember while making mushroom rice
- What rice to use ?
- Other popular mushroom recipes
Love making making variety rice with veggies then I have a options could checkout in my rice category
Points to remember while making mushroom rice:
Do not cut the mushroom too thin it will just break into pieces and get mixed up with rice and won't be visible.
Rice - pour just enough water to cook the rice. Too much water can destroy the intended texture. Adding butter and frying the rice helps to maintain the shape and texture after cooking to a certain extent.
Adding liquid – If you pour cold or room temperature broth/stock it will make the rice shrink and then take longer to come back to temperature and cook evenly.
Mushroom : use any kind of mushroom of your choice I have used baby Bella. But Cremini mushroom or Portabella taste really good in this recipe.
Onion - White onion may have a sweeter taste and goes well in this recipe I have used red onion instead.
Fried rice seasoning mix – use any brand seasoning mix of your choice they all have to contain some onion powder garlic powder and tastemakers. If you would like to skip seasoning mix+boiling water instead use vegetable or chicken broth(make sure it's heated up well before pouring under mushroom rice mixture because that will maintain cooking temperatures. If you pour cold or room temperature broth/stock it will make the rice shrink and then take longer to come back to temperature and cook evenly. Salt and pepper – Add more only if required as the seasoning mix contains salt no pepper.
Butter : Butter adds a delicious flavor to the rice and mushroom than using just oil.
What rice to use ?
Depending the texture you are looking for choose the rice. Remember soaking soaking rice may tend the break the grains. Whichever rice you use if you stir without care it can turn into a mush once cooked. Over cooking rice and too much water too results in gloopy looking mess.
White rice - Long grain rice – rinse thoroughly and use.
Basmati rice – rinse thoroughly and use
Arborio rice - Use directly (To get the creaminess required)
Brown rice - needs more cooking time. Hence 10 minutes of soaking in hot water should help.
Steps pics for making Mushroom rice :
Butter frying some mushroom draws a nice earthy buttery flavor into a beautiful caramelized one. Do not add too much water as the rice will turn mushy quickly. Once the rice starts over cooked it is impossible to retrieve the fluffy texture.Sauteing the rice in the butter helps it maintain the shape as it cooks prevents getting mushy to a certain extent.
Other popular mushroom recipes :
- 8 oz Baby bella mushroom 227 gms
- 8 oz Long grained white rice (Basmati rice) 1 cup
- 2-3 tsp Olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 of 1 Red Onion
- 1 tbsp Fried rice seasoning mix
- 2-3 stalks Spring onion chopped
- 3-4 sprigs Flat leaf Parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper (Only if needed)
- 16 0z Water (Boiling hot) 2 cups (may need more depending on the rice used)
- Heat a heavy bottom non stick pan add olive oil, add 1 tbsp butter when it melts and half the thinly sliced mushroom allow it to get fried and crisp up a little. Remove and keep it aside.
- in the same pan add the ginger garlic paste and give it a few minutes now add in the chopped onion allow this to become pink. And the mushroom slices give it a few minutes to get cooked. Add the seasoning mix, mix until the everything is combined. Now add the washed and completely drained rice. Mix everything well. Allow the rice to crisp up a little bit and keep sautéing in between until all the water dries up.(make sure grains don't break)
- Meanwhile boil 2 cups of water on the side.Into the mushroom rice mixture add a tablespoon of butter half the chopped parsley leaves and 2 cups of boiling water stir once cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes. Do not open the lid in between.
- After 20 minutes open the lid and make sure all the water has dried up (check the center bottom of the pan) and the rice is cooked evenly. If there is too much water let it to dry up on high heat keeping the pan open.
- Garnish with the fried mushrooms slices, chopped parsley and spring onion. Serve immediately with proteins such as baked chicken, grilled fish or other proteins.
Hope you will give this recipe a try and let me know.