Mushroom and Leek Bread Pudding, filled with mushroom subtle flavors of leek and pillowy soft bread, a savory pudding or strata that could be made for Easter or brunch party.
This is the second recipe I tried from the book Barefoot Contessa Foolproof, other one is Fennel and Garlic Shrimp . This just proved to me that bread ,egg and dairy in any combination cannot go wrong. I tried this recipe a couple of times now making a few changes here and there and omitted pancetta . Instead of mushroom I added slightly sauteed eggplant, was equally good.
Mushroom and Leek Bread Pudding has a very a subtle flavor, a welcome change for our masala beaten taste buds and to my surprise my family loved it.
Mushroom and Leek Bread Pudding
- 4 cups Rustic loaf cubed
- 4 Eggs Large
- 11/2 cup Heavy cream
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3-4 stalks Leek ( Use white stem and green leaf,discard root part)
- 2 Portobello mushrooms Or any of your choice
- 1/2 Red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese Divided
- 4 sprigs Parsley leaves chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the leek into two and wash thoroughly check for sand and dirt between each layer.Cube the bread and spread on a sheet pan and bake for 15 mts until lightly brown . Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, chicken stock and 1 cup gruyere cheese. Add the bread cubes keep it soaked while the next step is done. So it absorbs the liquid.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large pan. Stir in the leek and cook for 8 to 10 mts until leek is tender. Stir in the mushroom , sherry salt and pepper and cook for 10 -12 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated, stir occasionally. Add bell pepper towards the end. Remove off heat and add parsley. Allow this too cool slightly.
- Add the leek mixture to the bread and egg mixture. Transfer this into a greased 13 x 9 pan with tall sides so the mixture does not overflow while baking. Note : I have used cast iron for even baking it makes the inside dry faster if u like inside soggy slight pudding consistency go for regular baking dish.Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 F in a preheated oven for 45 – 50 minutes until the top is browned and set. Serve the mushroom and leek pudding hot either for breakfast or brunch