Stuffed sweet peppers are bite size fancy appetizers filled with a potato based savory stuffing and shallow fried until crisp. Bright and colorful, looks pretty on any party table and really delicious too.
Instead of making a large bell pepper filled with a lot of flavor.Small peppers are bite size and much manageable and easy to eat by all age groups. The potatoes inside get a chance to crisp up very well and adds to the flavor. There are many ways of making the filling it can be lot of veggies and beans mashed ,cheese filling, with potatoes or with roasted chickpeas flour or ground meat etc.
Mini sweet peppers:
- Mini sweet peppers are and mild variety of peppers that have fruity sweet taste. They belong to the capsicum family. They are good for stuffing grilling pickling etc.
- They are rich in vitamin C and it can be eaten raw too hence it need not be cooked for long.
What is Bharwan mirch ?
Bharwan mirch means stuffed chili is popular dish made in India with spicy chilies. It filled with a lot of spices that adds flavor with the heat of the Chili’s . It gets either oil fried with the coating or pan fried and served along with flatbreads or rice varieties.
The Indian variety of stuffed chili turns out very spicy for most people. Hence sweet mini peppers are the best option. The flavor of spices along with the crispiness of the potato is very delicious.
How long will the stuffing stay good in refrigeration ?
You can make the stuffing much ahead of time and refrigerate it. On the day of serving you just need to heat up the peppers and put the filling in pan fry and serve immediately.
- Pepper – mini sweet peppers are the best option for making this appetizer. Other options are bell peppers poblano pepper banana pepper or any of the other peppers that are not too spicy.
- Stuffing-you may use any kind of stuffing for example veggie and mashed beans stuffing, cheese stuffing, potatoes stuffing or any other flour you like.
- Spices – the spices used here are very aromatic and flavorful. It tickles the taste buds and you will be surprised to see the final taste of the stuffing.
Steps for making stuffed sweet peppers :
Points to note when making stuffed sweet peppers :
- It’s gonna look like a lot of steps but little things do add a lot of flavor. You may prepare the stuffing in advance and refrigerate it. simply blanch the peppers on the day of making. Arrange the stuffing inside and shallow fry. The stuffing can be refrigerated for two days.
- Use any other spice mix of your choice like the Italian spice mix, Mexican spice mix or address of your choice and finish off with cheese topping if you like it really crisp top.( Remember once you add cheese on just the top layer it’s best to bake it rather than shallow frame as the cheese will start sticking to the pan)
- Instead of potatoes use crumbled feta, cottage cheese, Indian paneer or other cheese of your choice for the stuffing. Here is a stuffing idea .
- It is always better to steam the potatoes without it touching the water so the potatoes do not absorb a lot of moisture.
- It’s important to sauté the chickpeas flour else the stuffing will taste raw.
Other popular recipes to try from this blog are :
Stuffed sweet peppers
- 1 lb Sweet mini peppers
- 2 small Potatoes
- 1/2 Red onion finely minced
- 1 tbsp Chick peas flour Besan (optional)
- 1 tsp Fennel
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Carom seeds Ajwain
- few sprigs Coriander leaves chopped
- 1/2 Lime juice
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Dry mango powder
- 1 pinch Asafoetida powder
- Salt to taste
- Heat up the fennel and cumin seeds until a nice aroma comes when it cools coarsely powder it.In the same pan heat up chick peas flour until a nice aroma comes and has no more raw smell room and keep aside to cool.
- Steam cook two potatoes peel when it it still hot then mash. To it add all the spice powders said above along with fennel cumin powdered, finely minced onion, chopped coriander and the lime juice.
- Cut the pepper into two remove all the seeds keep stalk intact but.Blanch the pepper for a minute or two only in hot water and remove promptly and lay on a paper towel to dry well pat dry all the excess water. Sprinkle a little salt so the pepper has some flavor.Fill the pepper cavity with the stuffing neatly and flatten it so the stuffing will brown evenly.
- To shallow fry use a non stick pan. Heat 2-3 tsp of oil and keep the stuffing side down and cook on medium heat until the potato crisps up. Then turn once and give the pepper a minute or two to cook and blister slightly then remove. Arrange neatly on a platter sprinkle some coriander chopped finely and drizzle some yogurt to garnish.
Do give this recipe a try and let me know how u like it.