Paneer Mushroom Tikka Masala deconstructed into a show stopper easy recipe. Tender meaty mushroom with dairy rich filling and a flavorful tikka masala reduction sauce. Gluten free, egg free recipe.
When you want something Indian inspired to impress your guest where flavor and taste stand out not the spices.
I love fusion recipes. Other than Paneer Mushroom Tikka Masala I have another fusion mushroom leek curry recipe which is very popular on the blog with the video.
INGREDIENTS : ( substitutions)
Portabella Mushroom -
- Do you prefer the soft, succulent juicy portobello mushroom or the baked crispy dry totally up to you. This is a very versatile recipe that you can adapt to your liking. If you notice in this recipe the steam from the sauce cooks the portobello mushroom to perfection without any shriveling or reduction in size.
- Cremini mushroom will serve the purpose minus the visual effect.
- I have been experimenting this recipe without the usual binders like egg, bread crumbs or stringy cheeses. PANEER is a much more lighter cheese yet helps in holding the shape of the filling. It is less processed and better still if it is homemade and fresh.
- Use parmesan or asiago cheese say a tbsp or so as a flavoring and replace paneer with bread crumbs or veggies like cabbage or cooked shredded meat.
Tikka masala paste - (RECIPE given at the end of the page to make your own)
- Can be replaced with you favorite sauces or glaze of choice.
Other interesting mushroom recipes on the blog are :
Points to remember:
- Buy fresh mushroom with shape intact. That is the sides should be folded inwards and not full flat ones. The filling should hold inside the mushroom so edges are important here.
- You can add other variety of cheese or bread crumbs to add flavor and binding to the filling.
- Use any curry paste or sauce of your liking to add flavor to the reduction sauce.
- I would not making this paneer mushroom tikka masala in advance and reheating. Instead I would suggest making it fresh to reap the all the benefits of the flavor and mushroom.
- Butter can be avoided and instead of heavy cream coconut milk can be added to make this recipe vegan. The smooth rich flavor comes from the curry paste you are going to add so choose a good brand which gives authentic flavors.
- If you would like to try and make the tikka masala paste at home check out the sauce part of this recipe. Printable - Baked Malai Kofta recipe and the video is here
Paneer mushroom tikka masala
- 2 large Portobello mushroom
- 2-3 tsp Olive oil
- 3-4 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1/2 of 1 Red Onion chopped
- 2 tbsp Butter (Check marking on the butter stick for exact tbsp)
- 1/2 of 1 Red bell pepper chopped
- 75 gms Paneer / Indian cottage cheese 2''x 2" piece
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp or more Tikka masala paste (RECIPE given at the bottom to make your own) Sherwood's brand used here
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Heavy cream
- 16 -20 pods Tender French beans 8-10 pods per person
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- Quickly wash the portobello mushroom and wipe with a paper towel. Remove the stalk part and chop it finely.Scrape off the gills if you prefer.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add chopped garlic twhen it releases aroma add red onion chopped and the mushroom stalk chopped 1 tbsp butter. Cover and cook until soft. Add bell pepper chopped allow it to become soft. Switch off heat.
- Crumble the paneer with a fork add salt and freshly crushed pepper and parsley or coriander leaves and the prepared onion mixture . Mix until well combined.
- Divide the paneer mixture into two and fill the portobello mushroom with mixture and press with light hands.
- Heat the earlier pan itself add a tsp of olive oil and gently keep the filled mushrooms in it place a small piece(1/2 tbsp) of butter on each mushroom, a half a glass of water and cover and let this to cook on low - slight medium heat for 20-25 minutes.Keep an eye so the pan does not dry out ( Add little water in-between if needed)
- Towards the end add the French beans into the pan allow it to cook covered in the pan juices for a few minutes until tender then remove immediately. Add the tomatoes allow it to plump up for a 1- 2 two minutes then remove.
- In a small bowl mix the readymade tikka paste and heavy cream until well combined then pour on the base of the pan. Mix the pan juices with the tikka cream mixture add a 1/2 cup of hot water allow all this to come to a simmer.
- Serve mushroom paneer tikka masala with the reduction sauce drizzled over it and the side of French beans and cherry tomatoes.
- Or serve with a side of plain rice, pilaf or flat bread of your choice.
How to make tikka masala at home ?
INGREDIENTS FOR THE TIKKA MASALA PASTE –
- 3-4 tsp Olive oil
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Chili powder ( Use paprika or Kashmiri chili pd) use for color not heat
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tsp Tomato paste
To cook and grind to paste :
- 1-2 Red onion (medium size)
- 8-10 Raw cashew nuts
- 1 inch Ginger
- 5-6 Garlic cloves
- 1 Green chili (any mild variety)
- Roughly cut the red onion, garlic and ginger and the green chili. Cook all this and the cashew nut together adding half a cup of water. When cool grind this to a smooth paste without adding the cooked water. Keep the water aside to use later.
- Heat a pan and add olive oil add a bay leaf when it warms up reduce heat to low add the ground cashew and onion paste. When the paste slightly dries up add all the spice powders add wait till the spice aroma comes.
- When the paste is cooked and dried up add the tomato paste give it a few minutes then onion cooked water. Stir well.
- Add 1 cup water and from this point make sure the lid is on the pan to ensure it does not splatter even while stirring. Allow this thicken a bit. Now check if there is sufficient sauce else pour 1/2 to 1 cup water bring this to come to a rolling boil when the sauce thickens switch off heat.
Hope you will give this mushroom paneer tikka masala a try and let me know how it went.