Pineapple juice or pineapple squash, is a perfectly fruity sweet syrup to keep handy during summers. All natural without artificial color or flavorings. Handpressed juice extraction the old fashioned way is much stress relieving its more about believing in pure aromas, feeling the textures and less dependence on machine.
When I say hand pressed, the juice extraction is as easy as tightly holding a sponge. I promise its a lot of fun activity to do with kids. They will get the real taste of a fruit and as they grow older understand that there is a certain joy in making juice at home. Which is pure without any additives unlike the readymade commercial ones.
How to serve the pineapple juice? IDEAS –
- 2 parts water one part pineapple juice / squash with a dash of orange juice or lemon juice is perfect old fashioned summer drink back home.
- Add to any tropical cocktails such as coconut rum.
- The old fashioned mixed with whiskey tastes good.
- My personal favorite is with Smirnoff pineapple flavored vodka. Adding pineapple juice truly enhances the pineapple flavor and the fruity fragrance. Takes the cocktail to the next level.
- Virgin Pina colada is always a teetotalers favorite as you know.
How to tell if the pineapple is ripe ?
- A good ripe pineapple should have a sweet fruity aroma. It should look orangish yellow towards the bottom and slight green towards the top (on the outside) without blemishes or soft spots.
- On pressing on the skin it may not give in even if fully ripe.
- If the skin is green then the inside might be tart and not sweet enough to make the juice.
- Should feel heavy for its size
Must try sunshine tea: Your perfect healing drink
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 part water
- 1 part pineapple juice
- a squeeze of orange or lemon juice
- a few mint leaves
Other interesting pineapple recipes on the blog:
- 1/2 of 1 Pineapple
- 2 cups Sugar
- 3 cups Water
- Remove the peel of the pineapple (as seen in the video) cut the pulp into 2 use one half of it , cut it into small pieces. Use the core too , cut into cubes.
- Cover and cook the pineapple pieces and the core in two cups of water until the pieces are soft. Once it comes to room temperature sieve the juice and keep aside, remove the core pieces from it and put it back into the pot used for boiling.
- Keep the sieve and a muslin cloth and hand press the pineapple until there is no more juice left. THE JOY OF DOING LITTLE THINGS without a machine. Then feel the fiber with your finger tips. Discard it or use this as a natural body scrub if you like.
- Keep the extracted pineapple juice aside and boil a cup of water along with the pineapple core pieces from earlier. Once the water boils remove the core and add the sugar into it reduce heat and allow this to thicken and form a sugar syrup. Allow it to cool.
- Mix the pineapple juice extract and the sugar syrup. Carefully pour into clean dry air tight bottles and refrigerate. Use while making smoothie, flavored teas, cocktails or cocktails.
Hope you like this old-fashioned pineapple Juice without juicer or blender and would give it a try.