Honey garlic chicken, tender juicy succulent perfectly tender honey glazed breast piece with bursting flavors of garlic, an easy weeknight recipe which comes together in 15 minutes.
We are using a whole organic chicken and making small portions for other meals too. When you don’t want to use the entire chicken in one recipe the best idea is to make portions. Use on different days by marinating and refrigerating or freezing for later use.
This Honey garlic chicken is PART 2 of the 3 PART SERIES on how to use up a whole chicken by 1 or 2 people.
PART 1 – Best healing chicken soup
If you haven’t tried honey in savory dishes then you are in for a surprise here. The sauce in this recipe is amazing not all that sweet as you must be thinking the soy sauce and vingar beautiful cuts it and makes a perfect mix of all flavors that will want you to go for the seconds. I have a easy cook in bag rice too so the chicken and rice comes together in a matter of 15 minutes. A side of cucumber salad and you can call it a night a.k.a yummy meal.
1. When on a tight budget how to get max out of a whole chicken?
2. I live alone and a whole chicken is too much for me to finish by myself, what do I do?
Buying whole chicken is always cheaper than buying parts. Strategically cut the chicken into white and red meat sections around the bones( so there is no need to cut into the bones).
Make small portions. Use the entire ribcage and giblets for the soup. Go with different marinations, freeze the chicken in small portions and use in different cuisine recipes to avoid too much left over and boredom of having to eat the same food.
(Check the video below to see portioning )
Honey garlic chicken
- 2 Chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp All purpose flour
- 2 -3 tsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar (apple cider or any mild variety will do)
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1 sprig Parsley or any fresh herb of your choice chopped
- Marinate the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Refrigerate this for at least 45 minutes or overnight is best.
- Cut the chicken breast lengthwise. When cold its easier to slice.
- Dust the chicken pieces lightly with flour and dust off excess.
- Heat a pan and add olive oil when it heats up put the chicken pieces in a single layer so it evenly browns.Cook on medium high heat for 3 minutes (so it browns). then turn to brown.
- Move chicken to one side and add butter all it to melt. Add garlic when it releases the aroma add dark soy sauce, vinegar and honey. Mix well allow to simmer and thicken. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and make sure all the pieces are coated with honey mixture. Make sure the pieces are cooked with a meat thermometer – Reading should be above 165 F to be fully cooked.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with a side of your choice. Here served with mixed veg rice.(Cooked as per package instructions )