Best healing chicken soup for the souls that need some comforting. Made from scratch to preserve the nutritive value and to get the basics right without any store bought stock or broth.
Let's get the cozy vibes going and soup mode on. We are making the stock first then proceeding with the soup from there as we are using a whole organic chicken and making small portions for other meals too. When you don't want to use the entire chicken in one recipe the best idea is to make portions. This way you can discard some skin and fat too and avoid too much fat rendering in the soup.
This is a 3 PART SERIES on how to use up a whole chicken by 1 or 2 people.
How does chicken soup heal?
Best healing chicken soup contains an amino acid called cysteine that is released when the soup is made. This amino acid thins mucus in the lungs, aiding in the healing process.Freshly crushed black pepper, ginger garlic and turmeric has anti- inflammatory properties it also aids in digestion. Chicken provides a good source of protein for your muscles too. You will definitely soothe your sore throat and prevent dehydration if not anything else.
Recipe secrets : Healing properties of organic ginger and organic turmeric powder goes into the soup. (So don't let the soup boil on high heat but simmering until chicken is cooked is ideal. Celery leaves have more flavor than stalk and using in small quantities is harmless.
Flavoring : Brings the perfect tang to cut the rich fatty flavor and balances the soup taste well. Use
How to make small portions from whole chicken ?
In this recipe I cut out the chicken breast pieces very close to the rib cage with a sharp knife. The chicken thigh bone and hip joint bone attachment will snap easily if you twist in the opposite direction a few times. This helps to cut out the chicken leg quarters neatly without any bone butchering. Marinate with different spices and refrigerate until used. (Refer the video for ideas)
Use bone in pre-cut chicken pieces and go straight to the soup section of the recipe. Just remember to remove skin and bones before serving and shred the chicken pieces that's all. (A mix of chicken wings and thighs or drumstick , that is bone in pieces will work best for this recipe. Breast pieces are too dry for my taste )
Buying whole chicken is always cheaper than buying parts. Strategically cut the chicken into white and red meat sections around the bones( so there is no need to cut into the bones). Make small portions. Use the entire ribcage and giblets for the soup. Go with different marinations, freeze the chicken in small portions and use in different cuisine recipes to avoid too much left over and boredom of having to eat the same food.
(Check the video below to see portioning )
REMEMBER : YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS :- EITHER make the soup as one big batch in one stretch or OR use half the stock + chicken + more veggies now and store half stock +chicken for LATER USE. Cook pasta or noodles separately and add when you are ready to use.
Best healing chicken soup
- 1 3-4 lb Whole chicken
- 1 medium Red onion chopped
- 1-2 medium carrot
- 1 stick/ rib celery
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1 inch Ginger piece crushed
- 1/4 piece Red bell pepper
- 1-2 sprigs Fresh herb : Rosemary
- 4-5 cups Water (add more enough to cover the chicken if you have a bigger pot)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly crushed
- 1-2 sprigs Fresh herbs : Rosemary , thyme or mint
- 2-3 tsp Olive oil
- 3-4 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 inch piece Ginger chopped
- 1-2 Carrot
- 1/4 - 1/2 stick / rib Celery
- 1/2 of 1 Red onion chopped
- 1 handful Green Cabbage shredded
- 2 cups Chicken stock
- 1 cup Chicken pieces
- 1/4 of 1 Red bell pepper
Flavoring : (Optional but strongly recommended )
- ADD JUICE OF 1 LIME BEFORE SERVING or the following flavoring
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce dark
To make chicken stock :
- Wash and pat dry the chicken. Make portions as required and use the meat with bones (ribcage , neck and giblets) for the soup. The bone marrow is the important part here.
- Add all the ingredients given in chicken stock section in a stock pot or dutch oven. Allow this to come to a rolling boil then reduce to simmer it covered for an hour or until the chicken pieces fall apart easily.Optional - (Press firmly on the chicken with the help of tongs and ladle in the soup pot itself so the bones break apart into large chunks)Note : Too much water will make the stock bland.
- Remove the chicken and separate bones and skin from the chicken pieces with the help of fork and tongs. Discard the bones and skin.
- Seive the liquid( chicken stock) with a wire mesh refrigerate and use when needed. Use the chicken pieces and veggies in the soup if too veggies have turned mushy then discar.(Also -Discard soggy veggies if looking for a clear soup)
- 2 OPTIONS :- EITHER add all the chicken back into the stock after seiving and heat up and serve as is OR use half the stock + chicken + more veggies now and store half stock +chicken for LATER USE. Cook pasta or noodles separately and add when you are ready to use.
To make chicken soup :
- Heat olive oil add garlic and ginger and sauce till the raw smell goes.Then add the onion chopped.Then goes carrot, celery sauce until onion is soft.
- Add salt a cup or two of water bring this to a boil add 2 cups of chicken stock, cabbage and bell pepper. allow this to simmer for a minute.
- Add the chicken pieces (only what you need) veggies from the stock(only if you are fine with mushy veggies) Add pepper powder if you need and also add some fresh herbs like rosemary thyme and mint. Bring it back to simmer and serve immediately with bread of your choice.Note : Cook pasta/ noodles separately and add to soup few minutes before serving else the soup will become very starchy and clouded
- Use remaining chicken pieces in another recipe (refrigerate until then)
- Garnish with a few drops of chili oil for the extra heat.
- This recipe for stock and chicken yields about 4-5 servings with extra added veggies.
Few other soups on this blog are here
Do let me know if you try this recipe.