Cauliflower casserole made in instant pot.
It is a comfort food with buttery cauliflower and creamy white sauce – An easy recipe for those busy days. This veggie casserole is a nice addition to your holiday menu, potluck or family Sunday dinner. A no oven cheat recipe
When you want something warm n cozy just for you and your partner on a cold winter night after a long day at work the last thing you want to do is fuss around in the kitchen right!! This is the recipe for such days. My only request is don’t burn at the bottom of the pan and blame me. : )
Not a fan an of cauliflower ?
Oh come on..! How about carrot, parsnip, Brussels sprouts or broccoli. You can easily adapt the recipe and try with other veggies too!
What to do if the cauliflower casserole made in instant pot becomes over cooked ?
Don’t fret ! Serve it as cauliflower mashed!! If the cauliflower has become a total mush and florets cannot be rescued then let us turn to plan b 🙂 add a little stock or more milk use a hand blender to break it completely boil for two minutes and serve it as a cauliflower soup by sprinkling chopped fresh green herbs.
What to do if the cauliflower casserole has a lot of liquid than you need?
The cauliflower may have left more moisture from not draining well after washing. In such cases scoop out the veggie into the serving dish (so it wont be a mush) first then switch on the instant pot and press SAUTE mode LESS option. Thicken the sauce by stirring continuously it for few minutes then pour on top of the veggie and continue with topping from there. We are looking for a thick yet pouring consistency here. Remember the cauliflower casserole will thicken a bit as it sits.
Here is a detailed step by step video of the cauliflower casserole in instant pot.
- Instant pot
- Cauliflower – 1 medium heat (Cut into florets and washed well)
- Butter 1 tbsp
- Garlic 2 cloves (chopped)
- Red onion – 1 (chopped)
- All purpose flour 1 1/2 tbsp
- Milk – 1 cup + add little extra (as some all purpose flours absorb more liquid)
- Red chili flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bell pepper – 1/2 cup chopped
- Sharp cheddar cheese – 1/2 cup
- Crispy fried onion – 1- 2 handful (Store bought) Plain or flavored as per choice
- In the Instant pot –> PRESS SAUTE MODE –> PRESS ADJUST button and set on LESS heat.Add the butter and allow it to melt. Add the chopped garlic saute until the raw smell goes.
- Add the chopped onion and saute until it becomes slightly brown. Cover and cook for two minutes. Stir in between to avoid burning.
- Add all purpose flour and stir until the flour gives a fried aroma. Add milk 1/2 cup first then another 1/2 stir well until there are no lumps. ( see notes)
- Add red chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to a smooth consistency.
- Add half the grated sharp cheddar cheese. Stir well.
- Add cauliflower florets mix well.
- PRESS CANCEL on Instant pot. PRESS MANUAL MODE —> 4 MINUTES
- After Instant pot finishes the 4 minutes –> IMMEDIATELY press CANCEL (SWITCH OFF)OPEN the lid after 15- max 20 minutes . (Natural pressure release)***DO NOT PUT LOW SETTINGS (after 4 minutes cook time) IT WILL BURN AS THERE IS NO WATER INSIDE.***
- Gently stir ones and scoop the contents into a serving dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and generously top it off with crispy fried onion
- Serve the cauliflower casserole warm with more fried onion as desired
Other variations for topping after opening the cauliflower casserole in instant pot are adding Parmesan cheese, butter sauteed bread crumbs or fried bacon.
Instant pot I use is the oldest model of this one – (details here)
I have used a 6 quart Duo. This allows enough space inside and the milk does not spill or overflow through the venting nozzle while cooking.
Insert pan and stand I use – (details here)