Bitter gourd chips baked in oven with 2 tsp of coconut oil is the healthiest and guilt free way to eat chips. Pavakka /bitter melon chips are the new entrants in Kerala sadhya along with fried items such as yam chips. These bitter gourd chips are called kaipakka or pavakka kondattom.
Contents ( Jump to)
- Why you should try this recipe ?
- Ingredients list
- Steps for making bitter gourd chips
- Other unique recipes
Why you should try this recipe?
Bitter gourd is a tropical veggie that has bitter taste yet very healthy, diabetic friendly, Most diets friendly alkaline vegetable prescribed by Ayurvedic doctors.These chips are an easy side dish to add to your flavor profile when you run out of your regular options.This chips goes with any type of cuisine and it can replace popular fried chips preparations on any given day. BEST SUMMER SIDE DISH and palette cleanser too.
- TASTE: The bitter yet nutty flavor of bitter gourd when combined with just salt and turmeric powder is really delicious. Elevated by the fragrance of coconut oil. Out of the 5 tastes this definitely needs time to build.
- TEXTURE: Crispy chips.
- TIME: It only takes 45 minutes to slow bake without burning to get the crispy texture.
- EASE: Uses 4 ingredients that are easily available.
Bitter gourd is rich in vitamin and anti oxidants. Helps to boost immune system. When consumed in a very gently cooked form helps to heal internal wounds. Raw bitter gourd juice is known to reduce blood sugar levels.
Bitter gourd is available in most Indian grocery stores in the fresh produce aisle. There are online grocery stores that deliver Indian vegetables.
Choose the lighter color of biitergourd. Don't buy the short, dark green and very wrinkly bittergourds. These are extremely bitter. Pick ones with grooves and ridges wide apart and not too close by. Generally ones that are mature and slightly ripe are less bitter.
Pavakka kondattom is a very traditional Kerala recipe in which the bitter gourd slices are sun dried for a day or two until really dehydrated, during summer months and preserved for later use. It is then deep fried until crisp and enjoyed like chips along with main rice meal.
Ingredients list :
Points to remember :
- Do not add more spice powders as it will burn in the oven heat.
- Do not add too much oil it will start smoking in the oven.
- Do not cut into thick pieces it will not crisp up instead bitter gourd pieces will simply steam. Same thick happens if you will crowd the baking tray with too many slices.
Steps for making bitter gourd chips :
Use a mandolin slicer if you cannot achieve uniform slices with the knife. Even thickens ensures good batch of evenly crisp chips.
Bitter gourd looses its green color due to excess heat in the oven.The trick is to reduce heat and just cook until crisp and serve immediately for best flavors.
Applying oil to slices ensures even crisping up of slices.
**Leaving the slices in the oven for too long can BURN the pieces. Hence promptly remove when done.
Serving and storage of bitter gourd chips :
Serving suggestion: Crispy baked banana can be served as a side dish with any spicy mains. Traditionally bitter gourd chips goes well with rice and yogurt based curries, simple stir fries and pickles like salted mango .
Make ahead : Make fresh and serve warm for best results. Bitter gourd stays fresh for unto a week if kept in airtight container. Use vegetable oil instead of coconut oil as it can go rancid fast in hot climates.
Storing leftovers: Leftovers will remain good in airtight container and it can stay unto 1 week. Reheat in the oven until it it regains some crispness. Baking may help in regaining crispness but be prepared for variation in texture while reheating.
Other baked vegetable chips :
Other unique traditional bitter gourd curry recipes to try :
Bitter gourd chips
- 2 Bitter gourd
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2-3 tsp coconut oil
- Wash the bitter gourd well. Pat it dry then thinly slice. Apply salt and turmeric powder on each piece shake off excess and allow it to rest for 20 minutes.Discard any moisture water collected.
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F. On a coconut oil greased tray spread the bitter gourd evenly in one layer and bake for 10-15 minutes then keep checking every 10 minutes. Depending on the thickness of the bitter gourd slices it will get crisp faster. I usually do not turn the pieces.
- When the desired crispness has reached remove and store in an airtight container for about a week on the counter itself.
Hope you will give this bitter gourd chips a try and let me know if you liked.