Pavakkai Puli Kuzhambu /Karela curry / Bitter gourd in Tamarind gravy is a riot of flavors, a perfect combination of tangy, bitter and coconut nuttiness.
I love pavakkai / Bittergourd in any form. A tasty veggie, I did not develop my liking towards it willingly but I am thankful to my mom for forcing me to try things I hesitated to.
Here is a nice tangy tart curry to go with rice.I am sure you will love it.
I have not deep fried the bittergourd but sauteed it for few minutes and steam cooked them.
Recipe adapted from :Cook like Priya
Bitter Gourd/ Pavakka - 2
Onion - 1 medium( chopped)
Tomato - 1 medium (chopped)
Tamarind - 1 medium gooseberry size
Chilli powder -1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Asafoetida - a small pinch
To make powder:
Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
Whole red dry chili -3
Cumin seeds -1 tsp
Whole pepper corn- 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds -1 /2 tsp
instead of powdering use( puli kuzhambu powder -2 tsp + coriander powder -1 tsp).
To Grind to paste:
Coconut - 2 tbsp (I used 2 tbsp coconut milk)
Fennel Seed - 1 tsp (powdered)
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp (dry roasted and powdered)
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
curry leaves- few
1.In a small pan dry roast the ingredients till the aroma comes switch off flame powder to fine when cool.Keep aside (Use store bought powder to avoid this step but nothing beats home made pd.)
Soak tamarind in 1 glass warm water.
2. Cut the bitter gourd into thin rounds. Heat 2-3 tsp of cooking oil in a pan and saute them for a few minutes sprinkle some water with ur hand cover and let it cook in the steam. Check in between to see if its burning on the bottom.Add salt and cook till all the water evaporates.Keep aside.
3. Heat 3-4 tsps in a pan and saute the onions till are cooked then add the tomato chopped continue sauteing when it cooks add the powders.(salt,chilli,turmeric,asafoetida, masala powder from step 1) saute till for few minutes till oil separates then add tamarind extract let the curry come to a boil then reduce flame.
4. Add coconut paste let it simmer for 10-15 minutes till the curry thickens.(I have added fenugreek and fennel powder in the end here as I have used coconut milk for convenience sake)
5.Let the curry cool then add the cooked bitter gourd pieces.(this reduces bitterness spreading in the whole curry or add along with coconut paste if u like )
6.Heat one tsp oil add mustard when it crackles add whole red chili and curry leaves when the aroma comes switch off flame season on top of curry/kuzhambu.
U may deep fry the bitter gourd instead of steaming.
As the curry rests it will darken in color.
Andd... now ur lunch is served......
|Instant Mango pickle-click for recipe ), Pavakkai puli kuzhambu, Beans poriyal, microwaved pappadam and Rice.|
Bitter gourd curries to try :
- Pavakka pulincurry / Kaipakka pulincurry
- Pavakka kichadi / Bittergourd in yogurt/ Nadan pavakka kichadi/ Kerala recipe
- Bharwan Karela / Stuffed bitter gourd / Karela masaledar
Hope you like it.