Egg curry without ginger and garlic is bright red but mild n slightly sweet, doesn't have too many spice powders made in instant pot using pot in pot method.
Egg curry without ginger garlic is more of a time saver curry in a hurry kind of recipe. Simply cook eggs and onion together without contaminating each other. This considerably reduces onion softening saute time compared to sautéing in a pan on stove top. It also reduces onion fumes considerably which makes you cry while sautéing. Especially useful for people suffering from chronic sneeze allergies.
NOTE: Instant pot can be used to make the entire curry just make sure not to burn the spices when adding to the oil as burnt flavor can destroy the taste of the egg curry. Use saute mode for sautéing the base of the curry.
When an onion is cut open, it releases the sulfoxides and enzymes, the reaction produces a gas called syn-propanethial-S-oxide which makes you cry.
1. Among all the home remedies floating the most successful one is to turn on the kitchen exhaust or stove hood, put it on max/high and cut onion on the counter space closest to it. This ensures all the fumes are absorbed, circulates fresh air reduces tearing up to a great extent.
2. Use a chopper electric or manual. Since its closed the fumes are reduced.
3. Pressure cook onion this exposes you less to the fumes
Coconut oil is the prominent flavor in this curry and not the spices.
Ingredients substitutes :
Fennel powder : Use garam masala powder instead.
Color : If the curry is too red for your taste add a tbsp or two of coconut milk and it will look orangish in color and taste sweeter.
Tomato: Add tomato paste if you are running out of fresh one or even canned would do.
Add : Whole red chili, Curry leaves can be added with spices (wipe off all the moisture so it won't burst when added to hot oil. Add some cilantro chopped as final garnish.
I am a germabhobe hence mixing raw shell on eggs with other foods is considered contamination. Hence I have used pot in pot method as seen in above picture.
Other egg recipes that are crowd pleasing are :
This recipe courtesy : Youtube
Egg curry without ginger garlic
- Instant pot / Pressure cooker
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Red onion
- 1-2 Green chili
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tomato Sliced
- 1 tsp Fennel powder
- 1 tsp Brown sugar
- 3 tsp Coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- Chop the onion finely (Use chopper if needed) Into the innermost pot add the onion chopped, green chili, turmeric powder , 2tbsp water,salt and coconut oil 2 tsp and mix well. Close the pot with its lid arrange the eggs on top of the lid and keep this on the trivet inside the instant pot. In short keep the onion covered and eggs open as seen in pic
- Pressure cook for 5 minutes and after letting the it on natural pressure release for 10-15 minutes open the instant pot. Put the eggs into ice bath then peel neatly. Make gashes and keep aside.
- Heat a tsp of coconut oil add the paprika, turmeric powder and salt switch off heat and saute on lowest heat just until raw smell goes. (Takes hardly a minute) immediately add the cooked onion 1/2 cup water,mix, saute, cover and cook for a few minutes until you see oil on the sides, then add the tomato chopped, fennel powder and brown sugar give it a good mix cook for few more minutes add the eggs. Scoop the sauce on top of the eggs. Serve after a few minutes.
- Goes well with flat breads made with wheat or rice. Like roti chappathi, appam etc
Hope you will give this Egg curry without ginger garlic a try and let me know if you enjoyed it.