Let’s make the best homemade lobster roll version of Maine chilled lobster roll which consists of chunks of tender, sweet, cooked lobster meat with little mayonnaise, stuffed into a top-split, New England bun lightly brushed with butter.
When you get your hands on the freshest sweetest Maine lobster and the grocers steam it for you at this time of the year you got to Enoy right! In spite of the short but brutal summer heat lobster season is much awaited here.
Lobster is a very flavorful delicate meat which just needs salt pepper and some melted butter flavoring,my favorite but I love the one with mayo too. My opinion would therefore be do not drown in too much citrus flavors and pickles.
Did you know there are two different types of lobster rolls ?
Warm lime and butter lobster rolls are known as Connecticut lobster rolls and Chilled with light mayo lobster rolls are Maine lobster rolls. In short now the only question is Are you in team mayo or no mayo?
About the rolls – Lobster shacks make custom made New England style buns and they are really of a good size buttered and toasted on the sides taste exceptional… but I find the buns in the supermarket is not that great hence I chose brioche buns this time. (sorry purist!)
Having a Lobster roll is never complete without the ambiance.
Obviously lobster shack is the place to go and have lobster.Forget the exotic restaurants. Biggest mistake people make is dress up go to a fine dining place and order whole lobster. Remember lobster is altogether a messy affair!
Do not underestimate the power of your sensory organs 🙂 In addition to getting the full on lobster indulgence you need the real full surround sound and sight effects. Sunset,the sea breeze, the cry of the sea gulls, the water lapping sounds and above all the chorus lobster eating ASMR ON EVERY TABLE is an experience in itself, I can vouch that !
What is your second best option?
Having the best of Maine lobster at the comfort of your home makes it the best homemade lobster roll altogether.
Best homemade lobster roll recipe
- Lobster meat – of 3 lobsters steamed
- Celery – 1-2 sticks chopped
- parsley leaves – a small bunch chopped
- Mayonnaise – 2 tbsp
- Lime juice
- Freshly cracked black pepper- to taste
- Salt to taste
- To assemble:
- Melted butter – 1 tbsp
- Buns – 3-4 (I have used brioche bun but you can use New England lobster roll bun.
- Extract the meat from the claw and tail of the lobster. Also the roe of the lobster which can be used as a garnish.
- Chop the meat into large chunks
- Chop the celery into small pieces and parsley very finely.
- Into a bowl add the celery , parsley, lime juice, mayonnaise salt and pepper, stir it well. Now add the lobster meat mix well. Allow it to sit in the refrigerator for 10 minutes for the flavors to sink in furthermore,
- Brush the insides of the bun with melted butter and put 2-3 scoops of lobster filling.
- Serve the lobster roll immediately
Sides to serve along with lobster roll : These are the sides I especially find in the lobster shacks along New England shores.
- Corn on the cob
- Clam chowder
- Potato salad / French fries or Cape cod less salt chips
- Cole slaw
- A nice beer
The other best options at the same time that sell well are:
- Mac and cheese
- Pasta salad
- Light green salad
Hope you will give the best homemade lobster roll a try and let me know.