Cutlets are deep fried appetizer or snack.Perfectly goes along with rice and meat curries too.Cutlets are cuties, no one can eat just one...Veg cutlets have potatoes that hug the vegs and wears a coat of bread crumbs and dive into the hot oil ,ever ready to please u.
Ingredients - (makes around 30 small cutlets)
Green chili- 1 chopped finely (de seed if u want)
Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Chili powder- 1/2 to 1 tsp
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste-1 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
All purpose flour -1 tbsp mixed with 1/2 cup water or 1 egg -beaten well adding 2 tsp water
Bread crumbs to coat.
- Do not leave potato in pressure cooker for long it will absorb water and the cutlets will not come out well.
- Do ensure that there is no trace of moisture in the mixture .Cutlet will break when put in oil and become a mess.If you are a beginner then make one or two cutlets, fry it to make sure it comes out well .Switch off flame get the rest ready and fry.
- If you find that cutlet is breaking apart add some bread crumbs or old bread ( torn into tiny pieces) to the mixture reshape again .This should be done before dipping and dredging.
- Shake off excess bread crumbs well before frying or the crumbs will settle at the bottom and turn the oil black.Will try to settle on the cutlets and taste burnt.
- Do not heat up oil too much as it browns the cutlet's outside but inside (though cooked)won't cook evenly.
- If oil is not hot enough the cutlets would absorb a lot of oil and become soggy.
- Note that I have not used beans ,I feel it makes the cutlet soggy and so is coriander leaves.
- Do not make the binding batter watery.It will not coat evenly.
- The coated cutlets freezes well in an air tight container for up to a month .Ya! u need to thaw before frying 🙂 .
I know ! cutlet is tricky but once you get the hang of it , it becomes breeze.I have jotted everything I can think of to make it fail proof .Oh by the way , the notes given above are some of the disasters I met with in initial cooking days.It is all about trials till u succeed.