Cranberry juice- unsweetened and unprocessed. Pure jewel toned cold, hand pressed homemade juice without any machine.
Deceivingly tart but soo good for your body.. let us cleanse before the feasting begins.
Drink without adding any sweeteners, it sure is tart, so just fill up a shot glass size and drink in one shot. Introducing kids to the idea that everything need not be sweetened can go a long way for them too.
If you have little kids, bored teens at home put them to work in the cranberry juice making as part of fun holiday activity, I promise they will enjoy popping the berries like the bubble wrap that comes in your packages. Just make sure the ziplock has no holes in it and all the air is out so they are not making a mess.
Doctors recommend drinking cranberry juice to cure urinary tract infections and recurrent infections in women and young adults. It helps in preventing age relative oxidative damage. Please do keep in mind - drink cranberry juice only in moderation as it is very acidic and too much of it could generate acid reflux issues.
The grocery store cranberry juice in the soda isle is most often a mixer, it has copious amount of sugar and is loaded with preservatives. Remember homemade unsweetened is best but you are free to add sugar or honey if needed.
Best cranberry juice extraction method : (without machine)
Cranberry contains high amounts of vitamin C and heat breaks it down and destroys it completely. Hence cooking is not recommended. Vitamin C is also water soluble and exposure to excessive air can also destroy it. Hence old fashioned cold pressed fresh is the best to reap all the goodness.
Can I use a chopper or food processor for crushing cranberry?
Of course, you can but if you heat from the machine and oxidization can affect the juice quality. Use your lovely hands and take the cranberry juice making as a stress buster not a chore.
Other cranberry recipes here are:
- Best - Cranberry sauce
- Homemade gift idea Cranberry infused vodka
- X-masy - Cranberry pistachio pilaf
- Spiced Cranberry pickle Indian style
Feel free to drink as it is for the health benefits or mixed with other spirits as a base.
- Rolling Pin
- 8 oz Organic cranberry (225 gms - 1 pack)
- 2 cups Water
- Wash the cranberry well. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Put the cranberry in a ziplock back and smash it with a roller so that all the berries break. You could use the food processor but it can get oxidized with the heat of the machine.
- Meanwhile heat 2 cups of water to a rolling boil then allow it to come to room temperature.
- put the crushed cranberry into a wide mouthed bottle and pour the water on top.Allow this to sit for a few hours or overnight.Strain the liquid well in a wire mesh and coffee filter if needed then bottle the cranberry juice in an airtight bottle refrigerate and use within two days.
- Cranberry juice can be poured into a shot glass an drink like medicine to reap complete health benefit from the cranberry.orCranberry juice can be sweetened with honey and diluted with water or soda. It can be used as a base to make any cocktails of your choice.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know.
Leave a Reply