Turmeric Coconut French Beans - Truly tropical flavors can give tender crunchy beans a new twist with fresh meaty pieces of coconut, caramelized pearl onion and fragrant coconut oil - naturally VEGAN !
If you think a dairy based recipes is the only way to cook French beans then I insist you try this recipe. You will find that with coconut is a game changer. The coconut pieces once sautéed in oil and slightly cooked or even slightly browned. It is so delicious that you can't stop eating those pieces first. This is a very traditional recipe made in my home with yard long beans. It is left in the iron wok to absorb its flavors too of course that's past the green stage.
How to get best results :
- Use fresh tender beans mature beans are a big no no.
- Use fresh coconut pieces if you have access to it else head to a good Indian store. Frozen section and look for sliced coconut pieces. Simply thaw and use. I use the brand - # DailyDelight
- Do not over cook the beans it will turn dark limp and soft which is not the intention in this recipe.
- You may cook the beans in any method you prefer boiling and blanching. Just make sure it stays green. Here are cooking in the skillet, in the steam from the water sprinkled on top of the beans and covering immediately by trading the heat inside the pan. This way there are less pans to wash. I prefer a non stick pan.
Other ideas and substitutions :
- In this recipe other ingredients that would enhance the taste are chopped garlic cloves, very traditional mustard seeds and curry leaves can be added to coconut oil before adding onion in step 4 (in the recipe instructions card)
- Other beans to use are yard long beans / Chinese long beans or Asian Broad green beans , cut into pieces, tastes really good using this same recipe.
- Instead of dry red chilies use red chili flakes or milder option is red bell pepper and bring a contrast and color to the table. Trust me anything sautéed in coconut oil tastes amazing. Go ahead and use freshly crushed black pepper instead and the aroma is to die for.
- Instead of red pearl onion use any other color ones or shallots
Other Vegan Thanksgiving sides to try are:
Baby lima bean salad with bell pepper and pomegranate arils
Purple potato salad with grapefruit vinaigrette
Turmeric Coconut French beans
- 1 lb French beans (Fresh & tender)
- 8 Pearl onion
- 2 tbsp Fresh coconut pieces (Frozen is fine but not the dry flakes)
- 4 Whole red chilies (Use chili flakes instead)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp Coconut oil (Virgin or refined)
- Wash the French beans cut off the stalk ends. Peel and chop the pearl onion into round slices
- Heat 1 tsp coconut oil on high heat and add the French beans sprinkle little water on top and immediately cover and cook on high heat for a minute. Then open the lid give it a stir sprinkle little more water if the pan is dry and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Open lid and check if beans is cooked. It should bend effortlessly and snap when broken into two. Remove and set aside discard water if any left in the pan.
- In the same pan heat some more coconut oil on medium heat add the chopped slices of onion give a gentle stir spread evenly reduce heat then leave it to be caramelized without disturbing for 3-5 minutes
- Move onion to a side of the pan then add the turmeric powder and salt and stir just that so the raw smell disappears. Now add the red chili flakes or whole dry ones according to heat tolerance.
- Once the chili are hot enough remove just that.Add the coconut pieces and saute just that so some of the moisture evaporates.
- Mix coconut well with the onion give this a few minutes to soak up all the flavors. Finally add the French beans saute until everything is combined well. At this stage cook beans further if you think it is still raw. Remember to remove from heat as soon as it is done else it will turn soggy.
- Beans should be crispy, flavorful and bright green. Not limpy n too soft then it is over cooked.
Hope you will give this Turmeric Coconut French beans recipe and let me know.
Leave a Reply