Semolina Pudding in Instant pot- Rich, fragrant and flavorful melt in the mouth Indian classic dessert usually served with traditional savory South Indian breakfast or feasts.
The pudding gets its beautiful natural yellow color from one of the world’s expensive spice Saffron. Cardamom and saffron together imparts a divine aroma that will bring the most pious atmosphere. It will definitely calm you mind give you a pleasant experience. Most desserts are offered to God first in Hindu homes, these photographs are an almost exact depiction of how my grandmother’s prayer space would look on festive occasions … feeling nostalgic here.
Other such devotional offering I have been yelled at for impatiently waiting is this one 🙂
Coming to the saffron flavored semolina pudding , serve it warm, at room temperature or cold. My personal favorite is warm serving with a glossy sheen of ghee with fresh aroma not to mention with a sizzling hot savory breakfast early in the morning.
Semolina Pudding in Instant pot is my humble effort to simplify the traditional version of the dessert in a wok called Kesari. We are using the method to cut short the prolonged stirring and go easy on elbow grease.
TRICKS OF GETTING PERFECT PUDDING :
Here are some of the nuances of getting the pudding right and not messing it up. If you notice there is a ratio of 1:2:3 proportion here. Follow measurements to the T because it is tried and test one . For this reason you will see that there is enough water for the grains to absorb but not turn watery and enough fat and grease to coat every grain but not be dripping in ghee. Remember its once in a while dessert and served during breakfast at home and you are expected to burn it during the day. Adding milk enhances flavor but doesn’t store well and spoils fast.
How to know if the semolina pudding in instant pot is cooked properly?
The pudding should not be runny yet falling consistency. It should leave sides of the pot and not stick to sides. If you touch it it shouldn’t be pasty and stick to your fingers instead it will simply show the dent made with the finger. You need not wait until it forms a big lump. Semolina does not have a long cooking time and roasting it will cook most part of it.
Why did the pudding turn tart / sour?
When you add more raisins the pudding tends to become sour easily.
Why is the semolina tasting raw?
Always remember to add the semolina into hot ghee. The temperature of ghee is very important here. When you put the semolina you should hear a sizzling sound reduce heat if you have to and saute until a fried aroma comes. Do not let the semolina change its color to brown.
Once you add sugar the semolina does not cook properly so make sure to cook semolina thoroughly before adding sweetener.
Which type of semolina gives the best texture to the pudding?
The coarser variety gives a more grainy texture to this dessert than the finer semolina.
Saffron is purely for color and the light fragrance. It is completely OPTIONAL to use this spice. A few drops of yellow or orange color could be used instead.
Semolina Pudding in Instant pot
- Semolina 1 cup
- Sugar 2 cups
- Water 3 cups
- Ghee 3/4 th cup
- Saffron 1 pinch dissolved in luke warm water.
- Cashew nut 1 handful whole nuts
- Rasins 1 tbsp
- Cardamom 4 -5 pods powdered
- In 1/3 cup of lukewarm water add the pinch of saffron strands stir and allow it to dissolve
- * In the instant pot PRESS SAUTE MODE (LESS HEAT MODE)Heat half the ghee when it warms up fry the cashew nuts first ,to light brown color then remove then add raisins when it puffs up well remove and keep aside.
- In the same ghee add the semolina and saute until it releases a nice roasted aroma. The ghee should be HOT this is crucial. The semolina gets a little popcorn effect which adds flavo but reduce heat so semolina is not burnt. Add water only after the semolina is kind of fried. Make sure it does not change color.We are looking for wet sand consistency.Now add the three cups of water stir well. No lumps should be there. * SWITCH OFF SAUTE MODE then PUT THE INSTANT POT LID
- * PRESS MANUAL MODE PRESS 4 MINUTES —> TURN NOZZLE TO SEALING MODE. (NOTE : The pressure may not build inside and the float valve may not rise). * AFTER 5 MINUTES SWITCH OFF THE INSTANT POT AND OPEN LID. If at all there is pressure do a quick release.
- Stir the contents well then immediately add the 2 cups of sugar. The residual heat will melt the sugar instantly. stir well. * SWITCH ON INSTANT POT–> PRESSING SAUTE MODE (LESS HEAT MODE)
- When sugar begins to thicken stir well so it does not scorch at the bottom. Add the saffron soaked (strands and water both) continue stirring
- Add a tsp or two more of ghee if the semolina pudding is sticking to the bottom.
- Add cardamom powder, fried cashew nut and raisins. Stir this well for another 2 minutes. * SWITCH OFF HEAT IN THE INSTANT POT
- This semolina pudding can be served immediately. Warm semolina pudding tastes heavenly. Or it can be served in room temperature by molding into any mold or simply scooped.
Hope you will give this easy dessert a try and let me know.