Indian Carrot Dessert in Instant pot. A no grate, no hassle easy famous restaurant style carrot halwa in electric pressure cooker.
If you are not the purist then no grate carrot sweet is a dream come true.
Every time I meet someone from another nationality for the first time I always get this question Do you have the recipe for the mashed carrot dessert served in Indian restaurants ? So here is the easiest solution I have come up with is no grate carrot halwa made in Instant pot. Anyone from any part of the globe can try this fail proof recipe. People with no access to full fledged kitchen – college kids, bachelors beginners in cooking are all highly encouraged to give this a go.
Why you should try this recipe ?
Speciality of this Indian carrot dessert in instant pot a.k.a carrot halwa is which makes it different from traditional method is:
- Carrots is not grated here unlike the traditional recipe.
- You don’t need to constantly stir.
These two things reduces so much of elbow grease. If you have tried similar Indian desserts you will know what I am trying to say.
Cooking time and stirring is considerably cut short in the instant pot method.
Final product is the same – the dessert should not turn into a paste but it should be grainy which can be achieved in both ways . In my opinion grating is not at all necessary you could save a lot of energy by skipping that step.
Traditionally when this recipe is made in Indian homes its made in a large heavy bottom wok and loads of carrot is first hand grated (to get equal size pieces for even cooking). Then entire cooking is done on low heat continuously stirring as the carrot is cooked in milk. Time taken to cook is 1- 1 1/2 hrs. Don’t believe me ..google it 🙂
I would like to break down the time taken to make this dessert in an instant pot for you.
- Break down of Time taken in instant pot – 4-5 minutes for butter to melt, 5-7 minutes for carrot be saute in butter, 5 minutes to pressure cook, 13 minutes for natural pressure release, 5-7 minutes stir, 5 -7 minutes with closed lid, last 5-7 minutes stirring. Total time taken – around 40 minutes.
- But if you hurry up and reduce timings the carrot will not absorb any flavors it will simply taste plain cooked nothing else.
- please note that you will have to switch from saute mode to manual / pressure cook mode a couple of times in this recipe for even cooking and less stirring.
Indian carrot dessert
- Instant pot / Electric pressure cooker
- Potato masher
- 5-6 Carrot medium sized
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup milk powder
- 3 tbsp Butter or ghee
- 1 handful Cashew nut
- 1 handful Raisins
- 4 pods Cardamom (crushed)
- PLEASE NOTE : Cooking mode is switched from saute mode to manual / pressure cook mode a couple of times in this recipe for even cooking and less stirring.
- Cut the ends off of the carrot and wash well, scrape the skin off with a peeler if you like then cut into large pieces.
- In the instant pot –
- PRESS SAUTE MODE put the butter and allow it to melt and become brown. If using ghee simply allow it to heat up slightly then go directly to next step.Put the carrot pieces into instant pot and saute the pieces until a nice aroma comes.
- Then add 1/2 cup water. Switch to MANUAL MODE, put the instant pot's lid on and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 5 mts.
- After the natural pressure release switch off the instant pot (takes 10 minutes)and check if the carrot is cooked.
- Go back to SAUTE MODE stir frequently and allow all the water to evaporate. Smash carrot with the back of the ladle into smaller pieces. Don't make it into a paste our intention is break into pieces.
- Once the all water dries up add sugar and milk powder. Stir once well.Close the instant pot with its lid add and switch it off.The residual heat is enough to melt the sugar.
- Open only after 5-7 minutes. Again switch on SAUTE MODE add cardamom pods crushed well,then cashew nut and raisins. Stir well and allow any last bit of water to dry up.
- Switch of the instant pot. Now the dessert is ready to be served warm or chilled.
Other carrot recipes to try :
Hope you will give this Indian Carrot Dessert in Instant pot a try and let me know.