Spiced Cherry Sauce in Instant pot is the easiest condiment to make and tastes great on cold cut meat sandwiches and adds pop of color and flavor to grilled / baked chicken, duck, pork and salmon of course.
The joy of making preserves at home is simply unexplainable, naturally the house smells like the seasonal fruit and I tell you it is heavenly! Here are some of the other recipes you may be interested in - Sweet Mango chutney, Artichoke pickled, Dates and Tamarind chutney, Pineapple sweet chutney
- Use basil or other fresh herbs of your choice
- Red chili flakes
- Nutmeg powder
- Cinnamon, cloves
- Roasted nuts like walnuts, almond, pecan etc (Remember nuts reduces the sauces shelf life)
I guess the tomato sauce will get a break for some time finally! 🙂
- There is no water or wines added like in traditional cooking so keep an eye and cook on lowest setting in the instant pot do not allow it to brown in the instant pot once it sticks to the bottom it will sit and burn as it cooks. This alters the taste badly.
- If bits are sticking to the bottom add more olive oil to clean up the bottom of the pot if that is not helping stop the cooking transfer all the ingredients into another pot and wash the instant pot inner pot clean and transfer back the ingredients and continue with the recipe. I know its too much work but preserves are finicky they can go wrong easily.
- Adding sugar is optional natural sweetness of the fruit is enough. But when added in the end it helps the mixture get a syrupy texture.
- Please remember: For reduction of sauce the timing may vary- 2 minutes of open cooking is enough to thicken in instant pot but if there is too much liquid you may have to cook it down and reduce.
How to use the spiced cherry sauce?
- Use the spiced cherry sauce as a glaze while baking /grilling the meats.
- Serve as a spiced condiment topping
- Use instead of ketchup on cold cut meat sandwiches. Tastes great as it sits and the meat absorbs flavors.
- On an open faced toast used, instead of bruschetta. Ideas are endless.
Spiced cherry sauce
- Electric pressure cooker
- 4 cups Cherry Pitted and chopped
- 4 Pearl red onion chopped
- 3 Sweet pepper chopped
- 1 Jalapeno chopped
- 2 inch Ginger chopped
- 1 tsp All spice powder
- 1 heaped tsp Black pepper crushed
- Salt to taste
- Few Rosemary sprigs
- 1-2 tsp Brown sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- Wash and pit the cherry cut into two.
- Switch on the INSTANT POT in SAUTE MODE (LOW) add olive oil when it heats up add ginger chopped saute until it crisps up a little then pearl onion continue sauteing then jalepeno give it a minute then goes in the sweet pepper.
- 1/2 of the rosemary sprig and the powders, continue sauteing finally add the cherry give it a few minutes add the vinegars & rosemary sprigs and SWITCH OFF INSTANT POT.
- Switch ON MANUAL MODE ---> 5 minutes then Natural pressure release 20 minutes
- Open and remove rosemary stems (if woody) then add brown sugar, stir well and SWITCH ON with SAUTE mode allow the mixture to boil for 2 minutes switch OFF heat.
- Transfer into canning jar if you need to keep for long. Else refrigerate when the mixture cools down. Cherry sauce can be used immediately
- Enjoy the sauce in cold meat sandwiches or on barbequed / grilled meats.
- Remember to switch off the instant pot in between sautÃ©ing if needed make sure the ingredients don't brown (If u let the ingredients stick to the bottom it will BURN when cooking and alter the taste.Â
- Keep in mind I have not added water so there was no thickening agent needed.
- The ingredients cooked in its own juices and vinegars and it will thicken as it sits.
Hope you will this easiest condiment recipe a try and let me know.