Palak /Spinach – 1 small bag 10 – 15 oz
Tofu – Extra firm Nasoya brand 14oz tray
(Chili powder – 1/3 tsp, turmeric powder- 1/3 tsp salt a pinch to marinate) For the gravy:
Red onion – chopped
Garlic – 4 -5 flakes
Green chili- chopped
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Chili powder – tsp
Turmeric powder – /3 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Kasuri methi/ dried fenugreek leaves – a pinch
Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
Optional – Juice of 1/2 lime Method:
1.Cut the tofu into the thin rectangles. Wash nicely in water n squeeze gently to remove all excess water. Spread on paper towel if required.
Sprinkle the powders on both sides of tofu and marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile heat a pot with some water as it boils put the washed spinach leaves into it and remove as soon as it wilts n the green color intensifies. (In short blanch)
Spread on a plate allow it to cool. Once cool blitz it in the blender adding very little water to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
3. In a non stick pan add tbsp oil and shallow fry the tofu in batches until the outside is slightly golden on both sides on low heat. Remove and keep aside.
4. In the same pan in the remaining oil add cumin seeds when it splutters slightly add green chili and garlic chopped saute until it releases aroma then add the chopped red onion when it turns translucent add the chili powder, turmeric powder coriander powder and salt saute well.
4.When the spice gives a roasted smell add the spinach paste. Add very little water if required as we are looking for a thick gravy.Reduce heat allow it to just heat up well add fenugreek leaves crushed in your palms.
5. Immerse all the fried tofu in the gravy when one boil comes switch off stove and **remove from the burner as the heat will change the pretty green color to brownish.
6. Squeeze the lime juice over the gravy stir once and serve.
Serve Palak tofu with plain rice, naan, flatbread or rice pilaf. Or Quinoa, brown rice etc
Note: Other blanched greens can be used instead of spinach