Instant mango pickle is made with very tart mangoes, a simple and very traditional recipe that can be cooked in less than 10 minutes and used same day. A spicy finger licking good mango pickle to have with rice. This is a very popular pickle in Kerala homes mostly during summer. It is customary to serve mango pickle for sadhyas (traditional feast) too.
If you follow me on instagram you will see this pickle appear often with rice.
Mangoes… how you remind me of home.Freshly picked raw mangoes.Cut into pieces,head straight to salt bottle,sprinkle on the pieces and then what?? mmmmm….. if u have eaten mangoes like this probably there is enough water in ur mouth to run a boat by now.Right :))
My God!!!We have eaten so much raw mangoes ..it was so much fun..
When it is cool store in a clean dry bottle.Refridgerate the next day..and you know always put a clean dry spoon. This pickle goes well with rice.
I hate to tell you that one bottle of pickle lasts max two days. Commmonn…when it is taken along with b’fast, lunch and supper what more should I expect ?!
Points to get best Kerala style instant mango pickle :
- Choose really raw green tart fresh mango (the ones that will make you squint )
- Purists don’t use even if there is slight yellowish color or sweetness inside. But if you live in countries where raw mangoes are not available this will suffice. The sweetness does add a unique taste and I simply love it.
- The mango has to be cut into tiny pieces so each piece is coated in spices well and macerates well in it.
- Mango is not cooked in heat the spice and oil breaks it down and softs it over time.
- The spice powders should not turn too dark while in the oil this will become bitter n destroy the flavor of the pickle. Chili powder in high heat in the oil is the biggest recipe to disaster hence keep an eye.
- The secret of getting a flavorful pickle is using two oils. Coconut oil and sesame oil.
Other raw mango recipes to try are :
Sweet mango recipes – Here
Instant Mango Pickle
- 1 large Raw green mango chopped into small pieces with peel
- 1 Green chili (serrano or any hot variety) chopped
- 1- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder (For deep red color)
- 1 tsp Red chili powder ( For heat) Reduce or omit as per tolerance
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida powder
- 1/3 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1-1 1/2 tsp Salt (reduce as per taste)
For seasoning :
- 1 tsp Black mustard
- 1-2 Whole red chili
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Coconut oil
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 1- 1 1/2 tbsp Vinegar (I use rice vinegar) ( add only if extra tartness is needed )
- NOTE – Keep all the ingredient ready and work very quickly as the powders will blacken fast and ruin the pickle
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and dry roast the fenugreek seeds until deep brown in color on a low heat this allows the seeds to crisp up gradually. Keep aside to cool. Then powder it with a mortar and pestle. (I usually make atleast 2 tsps and keep the remaining in air tight container and use it for other dishes too.)
- Heat coconut oil and then add mustard when that splutters and the whole red chili and curry leaves.
- Now add chopped green chili, the chili powders, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder and the salt when this gives a nice aroma and starts to change color to deeper red add the chopped mango stir well and switch off heat.
- Add the sesame oil and fenugreek powder. Stir well until well combined and move away from hot stove.
- In a small sauce pan boil 1/4 cup water allow it to come to rolling boil now add vinegar to it, give this a minute then switch off heat allow this to come to room temperature.
- Now stir in the prepared mango and vinegar water until well combined.
Will you let me know if u liked it?