Rasam is one of the yummy tamarind curries served for the sadhya/feast towards the end.It is the sweet and sour soup which helps u digest food better.
Every family in South India has a special household recipe and this one is mine and arguably the best because when someone gets to try this rasam they keep asking for more almost like an indulgence that has no going back.Sick or not , they drink it like they mean it.
Though rasam powder is readily available in the market I strongly recommend to make your own because it is worth it.Just coarsely crush it on your cutting board ,no powdering required.
If you are adept with scooping ur right palm and drinking rasam directly from ur hand it tastes heavenly.Oh mind you we(malayalees) prefer relishing food with God given hands when it comes to feast served on banana leaf.I must tell you it involves some skill to keep all the curries from flowing out of the leaf.
- Drinking rasam piping hot when u have a cold or when u are feeling feverish makes u feel better because of the spices .
- Seasoning with mustard red chili and curry leaves can be done separately and added to the rasam in the end but I like it as a one pot curry so I do it together.
- I add chili powder but all the heat comes from the pepper,adjust according to ur tolerance level.
- Toor dal is added to make rasam lil thick even then it should be runny like water .
- Do not omit any ingredient here because it all about flavors and aroma that will twirl ur senses.