Homemade red grape wine / Kerala sweet wine / Easy wine making
Be it Thanksgiving,Christmas or a fall party, homemade wine always gets all the attention it deserves.It is definitely a matter of pride for me to make a batch of wine successfully without any ceramic jar,gadget or wine making kit .Grapes ,sugar and yeast are the only ingredients that go into this wine.
This red wine has beautiful floral notes and I can say a sweet wine you are sure to fall in love.
Though I have been toying with the idea of authentic wine making for years ,finding right ceramic jars,the ritual of mixing it every night for a month hmmm..I must say all that put me off.But I have not given up ..I will make it the difficult traditional way some day ..it is in my bucket list 🙂 because I have grown up seeing the gracious elderly Christian family friends bring us everything homemade from wine,fruit cake to Christmas goodies every year.I must say they bring the best sweet wine.I have always wondered,” how do they make it?”
This recipe is for all those impatient people like me.:) All the work gets done in one shot then bottle it and it is left undisturbed .That’s all don’t u think it is easy compared to a long list of must dos.
Do involve ur family while making it especially to extract the grape juice out of the pulp.My man lends me a big helping hand at this stage.
Living in California has definitely drawn me closer to wines.Visit to the wineries and all those wines that I tasted have given me a wider picture.Now,Californian red grapes are the sweetest and I being a sweet wine lover just wanted to make a batch of wine .Sifted through so many recipes but finally I came up with my own because I did not have some ingredients ,gadgets given in it..After all everything was done manually in the olden days to make wine, that thought kept running in my mind.. . .So since last year I have been making small batches of wine for my family,what do u say !!
A word of caution:
Let me tell u cleanliness and patience goes a long way when making wine.From hands, grapes to utensils,everything should be clean and dry or the wine will not be fermented well and chances of wine becoming inedible is very high.
I measure the grape juice extracted- 3 cups (squeeze more grapes to make it 3 cups exact o.k!!)
|MY FIRST BATCH, (AFTER 14 DAYS OF FERMENTATION)
MADE FOR LAST CHRISTMAS (2011)
2.Boil the water to bubbling point and let it cool down to room temperature.
Pour the cooled boiled water to the pulp in container (A) one cup at a time .Mix and Mash pulp and water then squeeze out all the juice with hands(use ur muscle power here!!) and pour to container (B).Repeat 1 cup water at a time till all the water is used up.This is to extract maximum grape juice and color from the grapes .Discard the leftover pulp.Measure the grape juice.
6.This mixture should be stained through a fresh clean fine muslin cloth.
UPDATE Checkout the fruit cake recipe here Christmas fruit cake / Kerala plum cake (alcohol free) / Instant fruit cake
I have used red seedless grapes if u are looking for deep red color then use black grapes and also some caramelized sugar water.
Unlike the ceramic jar the bottle has a narrow neck so take care no pulp falls into the wine while straining.I used a 1.75 ltr bottle for fermentation.Once ready I like to store the wine in two smaller bottles .
- The yeast should be fresh and when mixed it should dissolve quickly into the luke warm water but if it sinks to the bottom even after mixing then the yeast should not be used.
- I would not recommend storing the wine for long as no additives are added.
- As the wine matures ,say a month or two later, the sweetness is reduced.
- I always wash everything with soap first then wash again with hot water ,hands too 🙂 I sun dry the bottles used to ensure that there is no trace of water.Use only dry containers ,wooden ladle etc.
- This recipe can be played around with.Sweetness, it can be increased or decreased.
- Strength of wine becomes high if quantity of water is reduced.
- There would be few bubble and frothing marks on the sides of the bottle that is o.k but before consuming definitely check if there is any bacteria layer formation floating on top of the wine and check taste .It should taste sweet and have a nice grape smell .If it tastes really really sour and smells like vinegar,sorry ! then u have gone wrong in some step.Remember the cautions I told u in the beginning.
Enjoy the moment of happiness while you serve the homemade wine.Ya… reserve some compliments for me too..and write back to me.Whichever part of the globe u live in do try this at least once and I bet u will never go back to the store bought ones.