High fiber veggie and shrimp stir fried with ridge gourd / Chinese okra. A fiber rich, immune boosting vegetable cooked with tiny salad shrimp to add flavor and color.
I have used a very traditional recipe here that emphasizes on very little spice and allowing the shrimp and coconut oil flavors to stand out. The idea is to use a tender veggie with least cooking time for best results. If you like the flavor of coconut oil then you will fall in love with this dish.
Ingredient substitutions : For making this High fiber veggie and shrimp stir fried-
RIDGE GOURD : (Luffa acutangula and also known as turiya or turai or beerakai or dodka. Luffa gourd or sponge gourd )
- I have used ridge gourd / Chinese okra here but you can use other green gourds instead like bottle gourd, snake gourd, ivy gourd or Zucchini.
- Green beans, yard long beans, broad beans etc
- Spinach , Kale or other greens
- Remember each green has different cooking time and moisture content so keep an eye while cooking. Chinese okra is a firm veggie with lot of structure and shape even after cooking , spinach and other green may wilt away and reduce size considerably after cooking so it is good to keep that in mind.
COCONUT OIL :
- I am a strong advocate of coconut oil and I would not recommend any other oil instead for this dish. Raw coconut oil on shrimp and veggie is to die for if you have not tried it.
CURRY LEAVES :
- Fresh curry leaves is a very traditional aromatic herb and the aroma is very distinct.
You will find ridge gourd and curry leaves in any Indian store ( fresh produce aisle) near you.
Can I use regular uncooked shrimp instead here?
Yes, you can and should preferably the fresh uncooked tiny shrimp for optimum results. Cook the shrimp separately first and add it along with veggies towards the end. The flavor of fresh cooked shrimp is a class apart unlike the precooked. If you are not familiar with this sort of cooking then you run the risk of overcooking the seafood or the green veggie. Hence this easy route.
Please NOTE :
- Shrimp is added only for sweet seafood taste and eye appeal.
- Use the smallest shrimp available for best flavors.
Ridge gourd / Chinese okra
Ridge gourd is an extremely nutritious vegetable that is going to be the next super food.
( Viewer discretion advised if you have other aliments )
- High in Fiber – Reduces constipation
- Rich in Vitamin A (Beta carotene) – prevents muscular degeneration – revitalise skin
- Rich in Iron – Prevents Anemia
- Controls blood sugar levels – Manages diabetes and body weight
- Immune booster – Detoxifies liver
Should the ridges of ridge gourd be scraped off?
If you are looking to reap benefits out of the ridge gourd then NO. The outer green skin of the ridge gourd is extremely nutritious and high in fiber hence it can be use in cooking. The trick is to use tender ridge gourd.
If the ridge gourd is mature and tough then the ridge would be like plastic strings, may be hard to chew. Hence buy tender ones that will give in slightly on pressing and the skin should be lighter green and have no dry spots.
If you are a VEGAN skip shrimp and add nothing else. Taste good just by itself even without the spices.
Shrimp and veggie stir fried
- 1 cup Salad shrimp
Marinate shrimp with
- 1 cup cut veggie – (Tender ridge gourd used here) (see substitution list above )
- 1/2 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/3 – 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt ( add very little)
- 4 pearl onion / shallots sliced
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 1 Green chili put a small slit in the middle)
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tsp Coconut oil
- Thaw the salad shrimp and marinate it with the paprika powder, turmeric powder and little salt. Keep aside
- Cut the veggie into small pieces.
- Heat a wide pan add a tsp or 2 of coconut oil add the chopped ginger then green chili give it a minute then add the shallot slices mix well. Now add the veggie (ridge gourd here). Stir well then cover and cook on low medium heat.
- Sprinkle water only if necessary as the moisture in the veggie is enough to cook it. After 2-3 minutes open and add little salt give it a quick mix cover and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes now the veggies should be 80% cooked.
- Make a wide space in the middle of the veggie and put the shrimp in the middle and cover it with the veggie (so that the shrimp is buried inside). This heats up the shrimp quickly. cover and cook for 1 -2 minutes
- Open the lid now stir well add the curry leaves (crush slightly with your fingers so it releases its aroma. Switch off flame and drizzle raw coconut oil give it a quick stir cover and leave it for a minute for the flavors to marry. Now it is ready to be served.
- Tases best with rice and other curries when served warm.
- Leftover can be refrigerated for uptown a week in the refrigerator.
Do give this High fiber veggie and shrimp stir fried a try and let me know.