Chicken sausage with penne pasta when you want something quick and warm, lets meet half way with a little bit store-bought and some home cooked. Of course leftovers turn into yummy next day lunch too that you can pack and reheat.
I try to post recipes that are usually made from scratch here so someday one of you just wants to try some unique dishes they know where to come ahem..mm you know who you are right ! 🙂 just kidding..
I have been stuck in the rut of rice and flatbread wheel so for a change this Fall let us have some chicken sausage with penne pasta. I know the ingredients are not the ones you usually in use but this is for a recipe challenge with mandatory main ingredients list so I am left with no choice . But definitely this is a easy recipe that will turn out right even if you want to mess so go ahead and add substitutions.
NOTE –If you live abroad then please note that most often in chicken sausage chicken may be the main ingredient but it still has pork casing in most cases ( which should ideally be written as the last ingredient at least)- Just a heads up if you did not know.
Here are some fun recipes to try from this blog :
Chicken sausage with penne pasta
- 4 Chicken sausage (I have used Apple flavored)
- 500 gas Penne shaped pasta
- 2 cans Canned Tomatoes (small diced, in juice)
- 2 medium Red / white Onion chopped
- 5-6 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 tsp Chili flakes
- 2 tsps Italian seasoning mix
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cheddar cheese ( grated or spreadable
- 2-3 sprigs Basil leaves
- 2 sprigs Parsley leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Boil a large pot of water for pasta. Add salt to pasta water. After the water comes to rolling boil add the pasta. Stir in between. Cook for 7 – 8 minutes. Remove a table spoon of pasta cooking water (so it does not dry out completely)
- Meanwhile boil a cup of water for the sausage. Cover and cook the sausage for 10 minutes. After 5 minutes open and turn it once for even cooking.
- Allow all the water to dry up in the sausage then cut into two or small pieces. Allow this to brown in its own oils for two minutes on low heat.
- Heat a deep dish pan and add olive oil add garlic allow it to turn golden brown then add the chopped onion. When the onion turns pink and softens add the red chili flakes, pepper and little salt (as the sausage and pasta is already having salt in it)
- Wait until the chili aromas release then add the canned tomatoes. SautÃ© then cover and cook until the tomato softens.
- Add the Italian seasoning give it two minutes then add the 3/4th cooked pasta mix well and transfer this into the baking dish.
- Add the chopped basil and parsley leaves mix well and add the cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined. Level the top evenly and arrange the lightly browned sausage pieces and sprinkle the parmesan cheese uniformly on the top so there is an even browning.
- Bake in the middle rack at 350Â°F for 15 -17 minutes.Serve warm. Makes excellent leftovers for next day's lunch too.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know.