Rice and lentil sweet pudding using instant pot makes the most easiest and flavorful dessert without any hassle with few ingredients.
A simple rice mixture cooked to right consistency required and turned into a delicious dessert in few minutes. In fact this is a very traditional recipe simplified and made in 8 minutes how cool is that ! My grandmother would have hateeed me if she was alive 🙂 Oh you have no idea on how much fussing over right consistency happens during Indian festivals!!
Here is some of the FAQs
Why should jaggery not mixed with rice and milk mixture while cooking ?
Jaggery will curdle the milk and it will harden the rice and does not allow the rice to cook properly. Hence we need to cook jaggery separately.
jaggery substitute ?
Dark brown sugar is a good substitute. Though jaggery and brown sugar are not the same it tastes similar to a certain extent. Jaggery is the unrefined form of sugar. The solidified form of the molasses is jaggery which is obtained from boiling down the sugar cane juice.
White granulated sugar can be used too if nothing else is available.
Where can I buy jaggery ?
Jaggery is available in most Indian stores.
Use melted unsalted butter if ghee is not available. Do not use any oil as it will change the entire taste of the dessert.
Cardamom substitute ?
There is no exact substitute for cardamom. But it can be totally replace with cinnamon powder or vanilla extract or rose essence extract or splurge on saffron strands. Any of this can be added while the rice is being mashed towards the end and not into the ghee like cardamom. Or you could skip flavorings altogether.
Can I make the rice and lentil sweet pudding on stove top instead of Instant pot?
Of course you can ! The purpose of Instant pot being used here is to get the rice and lentil cooked fast. Traditionally this recipe is always been on stove top and here is how we do it Brings back a lot of fond and not so fond memories.
Rice and lentil sweet pudding
- Instant pot
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Lentil used here - Split mung beans - 1/2 cup
- Jaggery - 1 cup or less hard or soft can be used
- Milk - 2 cups full fat preferably
- Water - 4 1/2 cups 1 1/2 cups for jaggery + 3 cups for rice
- Raisins - 1 handful
- Cashew nut - 1 handful
- Cardamom - 5
- Ghee - 1/2 cup Use unsalted melted butter instead
- Dry roast the lentil on low heat in an empty pan until the nutty aroma comes. Do not let it brown.
- Wash the rice and lentil well then soak both together for 20 minutes
- In the instant pot insert pan put the jaggery and pour 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Into the instant pot's main cooking pot add the soaked and drained rice and lentil. Measure 3 cups of water and pour on top of it. Now measure 2 cups of milk and pour that too. Mix well.
- Put the raised stand on top of the rice. Then put the insert pan with jaggery on top of it cover with its lid (see notes below) . Now cover the instant pot with the main lid.
- On the instant pot :* Turn the nozzle to sealing position .Press the manual mode or the pressure cooker mode on.* On the high pressure: press on the plus sign and go to 8 minutes.* Do not disturb it until the instant pot's pressure releases naturally. ( The small lock button will go down) This might take around 10 -15 minutes. * Press cancel to switch off the instant pot.
- Open the instant pot's lid and carefully remove the insert pan and stand.
- Mix the rice mixture until well mashed.
- Pour the jaggery mixture over it and mix well until well combined.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and add the cashew nut when it heats up. Allow it to brown evenly. Remove it and add raisins when it puffs up add the cardamom give it a give it few seconds to heat up. Now pour the entire thing on the prepared sweet pudding. Give it a good stir and serve warm.
- Garnish with rose petals for added flavor.
Instant pot I use is the oldest model of this one - (details here)
I have used a 6 quart Duo. This allows enough space inside and the milk does not spill or overflow through the venting nozzle while cooking.
Insert pan and stand I use - (details here)
In case you missed what I have been posting :