Red, white and blue pie for the patriotic celebrations.
One day prior to 4th of July I am putting a recipe for party ideas.. now how late do you think that is? ..Well, if you are like me who plans at the last moment then it is not late at all cos these pies are so ridiculously easy to make that if you have half an hour to spare you can work wonders !
I love the idea of making a large beautiful pie but when it comes to slicing it without juices flowing all over the place is still a puzzle for me. I always prefer portion size desserts ,they are much easier to serve.
This is a photo heavy post so I guess I should not disturb you with my ramblings:)
Ingredients: (makes 6 mini pies)
Pie crust dough – Store bought (1 dough disk makes 6 mini pies)
Cherry – 1/2 cup or slightly more (pitted) Use canned for convenience
Blueberry – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 4 tsp
All purpose flour – 2 tsp
Butter – 2 small tbsp 🙂
1. In a small saucepan put the cherries on low heat let it sweat then add 2 tsp sugar and 1 tsp all purpose flour mix well then add 1/3 cup water let it simmer until it becomes thick yet flowing. Do the same with blue berries in another sauce pan adding sugar 2 tsps and 1 tsp all purpose flour.
- If u want to cook the fruits combined in one pan then u may do so.
- The fruits need not become jam they just need to break slightly.
- You could add the fruits directly to the pie without cooking by simply adding sugar.(I like the mushy texture with ice cream so I prefer cooking it.)
2. Open the pie crust roll and cut out rounds using a small soup bowl. Place it into the muffin tin adjust the edges by doing an in and out pattern to get the ruffly sides.With the remaining dough cut out stars (I did it free hand but u may use a cookie cutter) and lay it on a separate baking sheet lined with parchment paper.Bake it along with the pies. (check in between for it burning u may have to remove the stars earlier than pies)
You may keep the stars on top of each pie and bake together but sometimes the juice bubbles and covers it)
3.Fill the dough with the filling only till half way through using a spoon. (It might bubble and spill if u fill more)
Put a small piece of butter on each pie.
4. Bake at 425 F for 11-13 minutes (until the pie edges are nice and brown).
Place the star on each pie .
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!
See how pretty and dreamy my share of mini blueberry pie looked in the evening light !
Hope you liked it.
Here are some awesome July 4th themed recipes from Food Network friends:
Weelicious: Magical Fruit Wands
Sweet Bake Life: Patriotic Moscato Gelatin Shots
Virtually Homemade: Traditional Potato Salad
Dishing With Divya: Red, White and Blue Fruit Salad
Feed Me Phoebe: Red, White and Blue Coconut Panna Cotta Cups
Domesticate Me: 12 Foolproof Recipes for the Fourth of July
Taste With The Eyes: Patriotic Grilled Chicken, Savory Blueberry Compote and Strawberry Arugula Salad
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Grilled Bruschetta with Pesto, Sauteed Spinach and Garlic Scapes
Red or Green: Popcorn with Jalapenos and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Mini Cherry Blueberry Pies
Devour: Star Sweets for the 4th
Swing Eats: Corn Dogs (Gluten-Free)
Daily*Dishin: Dilly Potato Salad
FN Dish: 4th of July Treats