Stained glass cookies
For the stained glass effect:
Any hard candy like Jolly rancher, Life saver or Poppins
To make cookie: (Yields around 12 small )
All purpose flour -1 cup
Butter – 1/2 stick
Granulated Sugar – 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
1.On a cookie sheet put a parchment paper and keep it ready.
2.Mix and make a dough with the above ingredients.Refrigerate for an hour.Roll out the dough into 1/8 inch thickness and cut the required shape with a cookie cutter / mouth of a glass and cut inside with a bottle cap.
(Put the cookie on to the parchment paper first and then cut out the inside to keep the shape intact.)
3.Make a hole with a skewer / straw on top edge to hang the cookie.
4. Crush the hard candy roughly and keep it ready.Put the crushed candy in the center.Use only one small candy per cookie.
5. Bake it at 350 F for 7-8 minutes (approx depending on ur oven).Keep an eye on it so the cookie does not become brown and candy does not burn.
6.Let it cool off for 3 minutes.Remove with spatula.
- Some hard candies can taste really bitter after it is baked so be careful.
- Make the center hole nice and big to see the stained glass effect.
- Do not add more than one hard candy because it smudges on the sides of the cookie, will look messy.
- The candy part is still hard so be careful if u have a loose tooth 🙂
Hope to hear from you lovely people out there.