Pineapple and grapes are the main ingredients of this sweet curry.Oh I cannot tell you how much I love this curry!Slurpp…
I admit I wait for this curry to be served on the banana leaf and finish it even before the rice is served.Some people stare at me while I relish every bit of this yummy pachadi, to them in return I can only ask what is wrong with u guys!!? How can you completely ignore such a sweet and attractive curry with grapes shining with oil !!I tell in my mind oh they don’t realize what they are missing out!!I can shamelessly get a second helping of madhura curry every time servers come on rounds asking if anyone wants.
Speaking of large feasts and servers they make the food affair so nerve wrecking sometimes.They are like noisy robots moving on a conveyor belt.They hurriedly serve curries on to ur banana leaf u want it or not, killing the joy of relishing .One is forced to enter into some kind of food gobbling contest given no time to even breath and needs to finish the item served as quick as one can or end up with a pile of everything from savory to sweet…heee.. heeeee…
Wedding feasts are so chaotic (if u have ever attended one u will know what I am saying ).Oh!The invitees..needless to say about them …People decked in pure gold ornaments ,fine silk clothes,designer sarees but never got anything to eat for two days!!! :))
O.K… now lets make some madhura curry at home and enjoy it leisurely 🙂
Pineapple -1 cup (cut into small pieces)
Red seedless grapes-10-15
Ripe plantain/ Ettapazham- 1/2 of one whole (optional) cut into small pieces
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Chili powder- 1/2 tsp
Sugar- a pinch(optional)
salt to taste
To grind to coarsely paste:
Coconut grated -1/2 cup
Cumin/Jeera- a pinch
Green chilies – 2
Yogurt/curd -1/2 cup(thick .sour)
Mustard- a pinch
Whole red chilies-2
Curry leaves- a few
Coconut grated – a table spoon
Coconut oil -2-3 tsps
- This is a very dry dish so take care while pouring water.I generally do not add water for grinding ,the yogurt helps to do that.
- feel free to use mustard in place of cumin to grind .
- I do not like the grapes over cooked and mushy or discolored so putting in hot water just cooks it right for me.
- I do not prefer the plantain taste to conflict with pineapple’s so I do not used plantain most of the time.I do not add sugar here even though I am a sweet addict !!!
- Coconut grated fried for seasoning add the extra taste u get in real sadhyas!!
- Do I need to say coconut oil is a must for this madhura curry.
Come! fall in love with Pineapple, grapes pachadi,madhura curry what ever you call it.Don’t make me feel like an alien in the battle ground sadhya.